• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cherub of Death

Question

This topic is 3639 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have read a c++ book about game programming and simple code examples. I have actually started with c++ and was wondering if I should actually go back to C# and learn that then go back to c++

Advertisement

From my personal experience, having started coding with Java and later C#, I found it hard to pick up C++ later on. C++ may be more powerful, but I could do what I wanted to do in C# already, so learning the subtleties of C++ felt counterproductive to the point I settled for staying a C++ n00b [smile]

As for whether you should use C++ or C# or go back to C++, that depends entirely on what you yourself need and prefer for your project, so there's little point in asking here (even if you were to provide more details). Some people will say C++, others will say C# and sooner or later the thread will be locked.

Well, you have to understand that the situation has changed a lot during last decade and most of the books/tips/articles were written in an era where there wasn`t really anything else besides C++ that would be best suited for game development.

Of course, professional gamedev is still done using C++, but that`s mostly because:
1) Everyone uses it
2) Because of 1), everyone learns it
3) All libraries/engines are written in C++

So, it`s a pretty vicious circle, from which there is no way out, mostly because there is no reason to - because once you are proficient in C++ enough, you don`t see a reason to redo everything in other language. In other words - why should a publisher pay for the same thing ?

But, if you are just starting right now and have the option to choose and you`re not necessarilly obsessed with idea of getting a job as a game programmer, just pick C# and go for Microsoft`s XNA API, since that will give you crossplatform PC / X360 demos.

Fast forward few yrs later - now that your portfolio is decent enough, you shoudln`t have big problem finding a job, should you choose to.

And why should you prefer C# to C++ ? You are learning, and there`s much less roadblocks when using C# compared to C++. You`ll face much less obstacles and much less day-long debugging sessions when you`re desperately trying to find out WTF is going on. You`ll be pushed into more clean design (at least the basic one) of the classes. You won`t have to constantly fight to just compile your program whenever you make a slight change in class/file structure.

The above are just very few of the hurdles you won`t have to worry about when you`ll go for C#. The point is that you can concentrate more on what you want to do, instead of how you want to do it.

Quote:
Original post by Cherub of Death
I have actually started with c++ and was wondering if I should actually go back to C#

What do you mean by "go back"? C# is in no way per se inferior to C++.

Thank you all. I would like to be a game programmer and if not that just a computer programmer.
Anyway I should has chose my words better, I never started C#. I have read a C++ book. Though I have to say it wasn't too hard for me for the parts I understood lol. I was also told it was partially made in C so I thought that wasn't too good. So basically everywhere I read I see a mix of its ok to start with C++ and you should start with Java or C#.
I barely have a grasp of C++ so I figured I should ask if I should learn C# and see if that could help me later on C++ if needed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!