• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Antonios

Force field?

This topic is 3644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wanted to ask for a possible tutorial on creating force field effects, shield effects like in Star Trek games. They use physics engines for this, some other way? IF you could point me to the right direction I would be grateful.

Advertisement
Do you mean a visual effect? Or a physical effect, eg. that repels someone? Explain exactly what you require.

I apologize for the lack of information. A visual effect for sure. But since it would have to deal with collision, if I am not mistaken, should I use a physics engine as well? How are the various shield effects work in games?

It depends what kind of game you are talking about too and how realistic it is. Is it 3d/2d? High graphics?

If it's simple, you could just make a bunch of colored lines and not the player go past point[forceField]

When I wrote space invaders, I made my forcefields simple sprites that detected when something hit them and then they disappeared.

PhysX has examples of force fields such as a magnetic ball attracting cubes towards it and a tornado effect that if any object was inside it, it spun around upwards. If you just want a visual effect though, I'm not really sure what you mean lol. A sample of what it would be for would be a good idea rather than just stating a game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!