• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
velentry

MMO cost

This topic is 3886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Quote:
Original post by MaulingMonkey

there's still at least one unsolved problem: Botting.

From the design of most MMOs, without chat, bots can already pass the Turing test within the context.

But that's the problem with the design of gameplay, and not a problem per se.

Whether or not it's a problem per se is up to debate, especially given that it is a problem which seems to afflict many MMOs -- but I agree that this arises from gameplay issues, one I would seek to "solve" by making unnecessary. The largest factor for bots seems to be the automation of grinding -- be it experience, loot, or other possibly boring accumulation jobs -- and fairly unique to the RPG experience IMO, and hardly integral to my idea of fun in any game.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Quote:
Original post by MaulingMonkey

there's still at least one unsolved problem: Botting.

From the design of most MMOs, without chat, bots can already pass the Turing test within the context.

But that's the problem with the design of gameplay, and not a problem per se.

The Turing Test WAS the ability to 'chat' and not be distiguishable from a human. So it cant be that the bots are passing. With the low budgets for GMs these days (and problems with allowing players to NARC on other players) the inability to do Turing test chat might not be so important (hmm, I wonder how hard it would be to stick a version of ALICE onto the chat interface and after a bit of training to fill in some context have it be able to handle a typical GM conversation....)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!