• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xM1k3x

A small direct X issue....*(SOLVED)*

This topic is 3738 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all I am having a small problem with my program and I was hoping that someone could give me a little insight as too why I am having this problem. So to give you some background I am using C++( although some of the framework is in C) and DirectX 9 March 2008 SDK I have a two files called: dxinput.h and dxinput.cpp. These files handle input for my game using directx function. Ok so far so good. I have another file called game.cpp this is my main game file. Now everything was working great until I added the before mentioned dxinput files( I was using the windows API to get input before). Now my program will start and only show a black screen and nothing, oddly enough if I hit the escape key it will exit just as I programmed it to do in dxinput.cpp So I am confused, when I debug I see that there is an access violation in dxinput.cpp but cant figure out why so I am hoping someone here can: -------------------------------------------- The dxinput.cpp file -------------------------------------------- #include "dxinput.h" #define BUTTON_DOWN(obj, button) (obj.rgbButtons[button] & 0x80) LPDIRECTINPUT8 dinput; LPDIRECTINPUTDEVICE8 dimouse; LPDIRECTINPUTDEVICE8 dikeyboard; DIMOUSESTATE mouse_state; //keyboard input char keys[256]; int Init_DirectInput(HWND hwnd) { //initialize DirectInput object HRESULT result = DirectInput8Create( GetModuleHandle(NULL), DIRECTINPUT_VERSION, IID_IDirectInput8, (void**)&dinput, NULL); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //initialize the mouse result = dinput->CreateDevice(GUID_SysMouse, &dimouse, NULL); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //initialize the keyboard result = dinput->CreateDevice(GUID_SysKeyboard, &dikeyboard, NULL); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //clean return return 1; } int Init_Mouse(HWND hwnd) { //set the data format for mouse input HRESULT result = dimouse->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIMouse); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //set the cooperative level //this will also hide the mouse pointer result = dimouse->SetCooperativeLevel(hwnd, DISCL_EXCLUSIVE | DISCL_FOREGROUND); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //acquire the mouse result = dimouse->Acquire(); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //give the go-ahead return 1; } int Mouse_X() { return mouse_state.lX; } int Mouse_Y() { return mouse_state.lY; } int Mouse_Button(int button) { return BUTTON_DOWN(mouse_state, button); } void Poll_Mouse() { dimouse->GetDeviceState(sizeof(mouse_state), (LPVOID)&mouse_state); } void Kill_Mouse() { if (dimouse != NULL) { dimouse->Unacquire(); dimouse->Release(); dimouse = NULL; } } int Init_Keyboard(HWND hwnd) { //set the data format for mouse input HRESULT result = dikeyboard->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIKeyboard); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //set the cooperative level result = dikeyboard->SetCooperativeLevel(hwnd, DISCL_NONEXCLUSIVE | DISCL_FOREGROUND); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //acquire the mouse result = dikeyboard->Acquire(); if (result != DI_OK) return 0; //give the go-ahead return 1; } void Poll_Keyboard() { dikeyboard->GetDeviceState(sizeof(keys), (LPVOID)&keys); } int Key_Down(int key) { return (keys[key] & 0x80); } void Kill_Keyboard() { if (dikeyboard != NULL) { dikeyboard->Unacquire(); dikeyboard->Release(); dikeyboard = NULL; } } ------------------------------------------- The game.cpp file ------------------------------------------- #include "game.h" LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 player_ship; PlayerShip Player; LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 back; LPD3DXSPRITE sprite_handler; //timing variable long start = GetTickCount(); HRESULT result; //initializes the game int Game_Init(HWND hwnd) { //set random number seed srand(time(NULL)); if(!Init_Mouse(hwnd)) { MessageBox(hwnd, "Error initializing the mouse","Error",MB_OK); } if(!Init_Keyboard(hwnd)) { MessageBox(hwnd, "Error initializing the keyboard","Error",MB_OK); } //create sprite handler object result = D3DXCreateSprite(d3ddev, &sprite_handler); if (result != D3D_OK) return 0; //load the background image back = LoadSurface("cloudbackground2.bmp", NULL); if (back == NULL) return 0; player_ship = LoadTexture("PLAYERSHIP.bmp",D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255,0,255)); if (player_ship == NULL) return 0; Player.x = 270; Player.y = 300; Player.width = 96; Player.height = 96; Player.movex = 5; Player.movey = 5; //return okay return 1; } //the main game loop void Game_Run(HWND hwnd) { //make sure the Direct3D device is valid if (d3ddev == NULL) return; Poll_Mouse(); Poll_Keyboard(); //after short delay, ready for next frame? //this keeps the game running at a steady frame rate if (GetTickCount() - start >= 30) { //reset timing start = GetTickCount(); //move the sprite Player.CallMovement(); } //start rendering if (d3ddev->BeginScene()) { //erase the entire background d3ddev->StretchRect(back, NULL, backbuffer, NULL, D3DTEXF_NONE); //start sprite handler sprite_handler->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND); //create vector to update sprite position D3DXVECTOR3 position((float)Player.x, (float)Player.y, 0); //draw the sprite sprite_handler->Draw( player_ship, NULL, NULL, &position, D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255,255,255)); //stop drawing sprite_handler->End(); //stop rendering d3ddev->EndScene(); } //display the back buffer on the screen d3ddev->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); //check for escape key (to exit program) if (Key_Down(DIK_ESCAPE)) PostMessage(hwnd, WM_DESTROY, 0, 0); } //frees memory and cleans up before the game ends void Game_End(HWND hwnd) { if (player_ship != NULL) player_ship->Release(); if (back != NULL) back->Release(); if (sprite_handler != NULL) sprite_handler->Release(); } ------------------------------- The debugger shows that the problem is in the dxinput.cpp file in the: int Init_Mouse(HWND hwnd) { //set the data format for mouse input HRESULT result = dimouse->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIMouse); specifically the HRESULT line. So if anyone could help that would be amazing and I would be very greatful. Thanks [Edited by - xM1k3x on July 2, 2008 3:22:24 PM]

Advertisement
1. Looks like you Call Init_Mouse before you ever call Init_DirectInput. Therefore dimouse is uninitialized and points to garbage.

2. You probably don't want to be using DirectInput for Mouse and Keyboard input anyway

3. WM_DESTROY is a notification, not a message. In other words it happens in response to a window being destroyed, rather than actually causing a window to be destroyed. Sending it to a window is a bit like making a thunder-like noise and expecting lighting to strike. To destroy a window, use DestroyWindow.

Quote:
Original post by MJP
1. Looks like you Call Init_Mouse before you ever call Init_DirectInput. Therefore dimouse is uninitialized and points to garbage.

2. You probably don't want to be using DirectInput for Mouse and Keyboard input anyway

3. WM_DESTROY is a notification, not a message. In other words it happens in response to a window being destroyed, rather than actually causing a window to be destroyed. Sending it to a window is a bit like making a thunder-like noise and expecting lighting to strike. To destroy a window, use DestroyWindow.

Where exactly should I call Init_DirectInput? are you saying in the game.cpp like before:

if (!Init_Mouse)

?

Thanks for the response!

Quote:
Original post by xM1k3x
Quote:
Original post by MJP

Where exactly should I call Init_DirectInput? are you saying in the game.cpp like before:

if (!Init_Mouse)

?

Thanks for the response!

Ok I put:

if (!Init_DirectInput(hwnd))
{
MessageBox(hwnd, "Error initializing the Direct Input","Error",MB_OK);
}

before the mouse init and now my program works thanks so much for all the help and I will use DestroyWindow instead.

Thanks again I appreciate it!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!