GDNet at the Movies: Hancock

Started by
57 comments, last by Benjamin Heath 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
It looks about as "meh" as all the other Will Smith movies except for his first.

Where the Day Takes You?!

(See Six Degrees of Separation. He's a pretty good actor; he just deliberately chose to focus on sci-fi blockbusters because they consistently gross the most, and establishing himself in them gives him leeway to make films like The Pursuit of Happyness).

I agree. I used to think he was a one trick pony, the fresh prince with guns (see ID4, Bad Boys, Men in Black) and he was in Bad Boys 2, which I consider to be one of the worst wastes of celluloid ever released. But, I thought he was really good in Ali and I Am Legend (in fact his performance was probably the best thing in that movie after they completely missed the point of the book).

I just wish he'd avoid some of the more obviously rubbish movies he's been in (Hitch, I'm looking at you). Surely he has enough money by now?
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ChaosEngine
I just wish he'd avoid some of the more obviously rubbish movies he's been in (Hitch, I'm looking at you). Surely he has enough money by now?

In 1999 he made a movie from Warner Bros. You might remember it: Wild Wild West. It cost $160 million to make, and only earned $113 million. The director, Barry Sonnenfeld, is stuck on the B-list while Will Smith has escaped unscathed. How do you think he did that?

Making profitable, albeit "empty" movies like Hitch buy him the latitude to make riskier movies. Not that Wild Wild West was a "risky" or good movie; I'm just pointing out that that's the way Hollywood works.
A movie like Hitch also preserved his "sex appeal", a property necessary for starring roles in future block busters. Being a bad ass is not enough. The girls have to want to mack on you as well to land those roles.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
It looks about as "meh" as all the other Will Smith movies except for his first.

(See Six Degrees of Separation. He's a pretty good actor; he just deliberately chose to focus on sci-fi blockbusters because they consistently gross the most, and establishing himself in them gives him leeway to make films like The Pursuit of Happyness).

I agree. I used to think he was a one trick pony, the fresh prince with guns (see ID4, Bad Boys, Men in Black) and he was in Bad Boys 2, which I consider to be one of the worst wastes of celluloid ever released. But, I thought he was really good in Ali and I Am Legend (in fact his performance was probably the best thing in that movie after they completely missed the point of the book).

Quite possibly, but it still seems remarkably easy to fall out of the favour if you aren't willing to play the Hollywood game. Crowd-pleasing studio pictures à la Hitch and Bad Boys 2 are safe bets which make a lot of money and permit a certain freedom in choosing roles and securing funding. It's notoriously fickle.

I think both I Am Legend and Hancock were rescued by Will Smith's performances. The parts of I Am Legend with Neville going slowly insane on his own are easily the best, thanks to the terrible CGI and the deviating plot choices, and I really think Hancock would have taken a critical battering and sunk without trace with a lesser actor at the helm.

On a related note, yes, a true adaptation of I Am Legend would have been very welcome, guess fourth time's a charm in this case. But would it work...? The alternate ending of the 2007 film, which was apparently closer to the book's ultimate conclusion, didn't fly, and you've got to wonder if it wasn't the closest they could get whilst still retaining the studio's approval.

And now to bed, as I am still writing remarkably coherently considering my alcohol intake this evening, but I've just finished my final beer, so I will quit while I'm (somewhat) ahead, even if you didn't like my Tony Hancock joke on page 1 :)

[Edited by - iNsAn1tY on July 3, 2008 7:57:05 PM]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
Quote:Original post by iNsAn1tY
I went to see it last night, and I was most disappointed to find that the film was not in fact a biopic of the late, great British comic Tony Hancock, with Will Smith in the lead role, but rather one of those in-vogue 'superhero' films. Despite the urge to leave, I stayed for the film and I quite agree with Oluseyi; the second half wasn't nearly as good as the first, but it was quite funny in parts. Unfortunately, the staff just pointed at the posters and made fun of me when I tried to get my money back after the film, and I was going to call their head office and complain bitterly, as it's every Englishman right to, but I thought nah, forget it, yo home to Bel-Air.

You muppet.....lol
-----------------------------Like A Midget At A Urinal, Im Always On My Toes.Beer helping ugly people get laid since 4000BC.
So I saw Hancock, and the most I can give it is a "meh". It was an intriguing idea, and the first half was very entertaining, but after revealing that little "twist" it slowly went down the drain to me. The second half felt very messy and slightly unfinished, and didn't really relate to the first half at all (I would've enjoyed it much more if they had pursued the delinquent superhero idea much further).

I found myself looking at my watch quite a bit, especially towards the ending which seemed to just drag on and on.

The movie was a very interesting idea, but it was a bit poorly executed and completely lost me by the time we got to the end.

The positives: Will Smith did great with the material he had, and Charlize Theron is teh extreme hawtness.

Granted, he has been in his share of rubbish. But his stellar works more than make up for those mediocre flicks. I loved Ali, and The Pursuit of Happyness has recently become one of my favorite movies, it's so inspirational.

Will's a great talent. That scene in I Am Legend with the dog was incredibly intense (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've seen it), and the scene towards the end of The Pursuit of Happyness almost had me in tears. A lot of great actors participate in movies which are either rubbish or don't utilize their full potential (see De Niro and Pacino's recent work) but that doesn't degrade from the fact that they are highly capable.
I would say the movie trailer is a little deceptive. You would think the movie ends with Hancock fighting bad guys in some big police shootout,
as shown in the trailer, but that's only half the movie! They didn't give any clues to Charlize Theron's role.

It's almost like the movie trailer for I am Legend, where they showed a vampire guy growling next to Will Smith's face, and we find out
that clip wasn't even in the movie! It was part of the alternative ending released later on.
Quote:Original post by rosewell
I would say the movie trailer is a little deceptive. You would think the movie ends with Hancock fighting bad guys in some big police shootout,
as shown in the trailer, but that's only half the movie! They didn't give any clues to Charlize Theron's role.

It's almost like the movie trailer for I am Legend, where they showed a vampire guy growling next to Will Smith's face, and we find out
that clip wasn't even in the movie! It was part of the alternative ending released later on.

Sure they did. You can see Hancock fighting someone in a black outfit with long blonde hair. There is also a scene where Hancock is in the background with Theron's character (in focus) taking off glasses, looking like a villain. I knew months ago after viewing the trailer that her character was up to something. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm almost certain her and Hancock duke it out, possibly to the death. Two days ago a preview I had never seen came on, and Hancock says, "What's happening to me?" A female voice responds, "You're becoming mortal again." I didn't see any of this since I was on my computer, but putting two and two together gave me four, so... Also, don't anyone of you confirm this! I have yet to see the movie [smile]

[Edited by - Mathachew on July 4, 2008 10:13:01 AM]
Quote:Original post by Mathachew
Sure they did. You can see Hancock fighting someone in a black outfit with long blonde hair.

What I'm trying to say is, I like movie trailers that kind of tell the whole story. Because I go to movies based on what I see in the movie trailer.
So I have a certain amount of expectation of what the movie will be like.

Take the Incredible Hulk for example. They show Hulk fighting a bad guy at the end of the movie trailer, and that's exactly what we get.
No misleading plot points here.

The Hancock movie trailer tries to make like the movie has a different ending, which I found misleading.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement