tabbed window and opengl

Started by
4 comments, last by Athos84 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi All! I'm a opengl-newbie and I want to add a simple example to complete my application. Today my application is splitted into 2 tab: - first tab contains game's settings - second tab should contain the game! The problem is that I'm not able to create the game using that tab :'( I found a lot of example that create a simple opengl application using a window, but no example uses a single Windows::Forms::TabPage^ (I'm usign visual studio because it's simple to create forms..) I hope it can be done, because the first tab required me a lot of time.. ps:for the second tab,just to begin,a simple black "screen" can be enough :)
Advertisement
Quote:
Windows::Forms::TabPage^...

C++ I assume?

You can create a class that inherits from Panel
e.g. overview->

ref class OpenglViewport : public Panel{  //  put opengl viewport initialisation, management etc methods and data here..}

instantiate an instance in the form e.g.
#include "OpenglViewport.h"//header file containing OpenglViewport classpublic ref class Form1 : public System::Windows::Forms::Form{   OpenglViewport^ m_OpenglViewport;   ......   ......   OpenglViewport^ m_OpenglViewport = gcnew OpenglViewport();   .....   // Add the m_OpenglViewport (ala Panel Control) to the TabPage..   MyTabPage2->Controls->Add(m_OpenglViewport);   // Instantiate a Timer for the Form    // (I think you can drag a Timer Control onto the Form in design    // view and get something like,   this->timer1 = (gcnew System::Windows::Forms::Timer(this->components));   // e.g set the firing interval   this->timer1->Interval = 1;   // Grab the Timer's timer1_Tick() event handler   this->timer1->Tick += gcnew System::EventHandler(this, &Form1::timer1_Tick);   //Then in the timer Tick handler method Draw you gl viewportprivate: System::Void timer1_Tick(System::Object^  sender, System::EventArgs^  e) {    UNREFERENCED_PARAMETER(sender);    UNREFERENCED_PARAMETER(e);    ......    m_OpenglViewport->Draw()    ......    ......}//Then you can use all those Forms Controls event handlers as well, like:m_OpenglViewport->MouseLeave += gcnew System::EventHandler(this, &Form1::view1_MouseLeave);m_OpenglViewport->MouseEnter += gcnew System::EventHandler(this, &Form1::view1_MouseEnter);m_OpenglViewport->MouseDown += gcnew System::Windows::Forms::MouseEventHandler(this, &Form1::view1_MouseDown);m_OpenglViewport->MouseMove += gcnew System::Windows::Forms::MouseEventHandler(this, &Form1::view1_MouseMove);m_OpenglViewport->MouseUp += gcnew System::Windows::Forms::MouseEventHandler(this, &Form1::view1_MouseUp);

I know that was very brief(lots of finer details are missing)...and that was just the windows part (there is tons of other info on the opengl part you can find). I am assuming you are familiar enough(or will get familiar enough) with Visual Studio for it to be helpful?
Finally, I cannot give you a good reason why you shouldn't use a simpler strategy than this when you find one. This is only one way to do it, and not necessarily the best. You need to decide that on your own.(That's me washing my hands of any responsibility for the info I just shared with you ;))
mission completed :)
thank you very much!!!
I noted there is a problem. The tab is "covered" only in the upper left corner of the tabpage. Maybe is a problem in the InitGL function (I found it in a tutorial). This is the code:

HWND g_hWnd;
HDC g_hDC;
HGLRC g_hRC;
void InitGL(GLvoid) {
g_hWnd = (HWND)this->Handle.ToPointer(); //maybe this is the problem!!!
PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd;
memset(&pfd, 0, sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR));
pfd.nSize = sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR);
pfd.nVersion = 1;
pfd.dwFlags = PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW|PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL|PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER;
pfd.iPixelType = PFD_TYPE_RGBA;
pfd.cColorBits = 16;
pfd.cDepthBits = 16;
g_hDC = GetDC( g_hWnd );
GLuint iPixelFormat = ChoosePixelFormat( g_hDC, &pfd );
PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR bestMatch_pfd;
DescribePixelFormat( g_hDC, iPixelFormat, sizeof(pfd), &bestMatch_pfd );
SetPixelFormat(g_hDC, iPixelFormat, &pfd);
g_hRC = wglCreateContext( g_hDC );
wglMakeCurrent( g_hDC, g_hRC );
glClearColor( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f );
}

I call InitGL() in the constructor of the class which inherits from Panel. Is it correct?
Looks ok.

I suspect it is not Opengl related but windows forms (panel) control related.
You need to set up the Panel as you do any other control, e.g.
this->Location = System::Drawing::Point( 0, 0 );this->Size = System::Drawing::Size( Width,Height);//this will typically be the gl drawing surface dimensionsthis->Anchor = static_cast<System::Windows::Forms::AnchorStyles>((((System::Windows::Forms::AnchorStyles::Top | System::Windows::Forms::AnchorStyles::Bottom) 			| System::Windows::Forms::AnchorStyles::Left) 			| System::Windows::Forms::AnchorStyles::Right));this->AutoSize = true;this->BackColor = System::Drawing::SystemColors::InactiveCaptionText;this->BorderStyle = System::Windows::Forms::BorderStyle::FixedSingle;this->TabIndex = 0;

That type of code it typically generated when you drag a control onto the form and adjust settings for it(and needs little explanation I presume?).But you can also(and probably need to) do it manually.
You can generate a prototype forms application where controls (such as a Panel) are dragged onto the form in design view, look at and become familiar with the code that you generated, and then write (or even cut and paste) similar code to produce the same results in you main application.

ps: you could init the Panel in the constructor after your InitGL() call.

[Edited by - steven katic on July 4, 2008 3:49:06 PM]
Thanks again!
Maybe the problem was in the Size function. Now it is ok!

In the next step, I have to draw an image in the tab. I used this thread: " http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=287626 ". In the constructor, before InitGl, I put:

CBMPLoader* loadSink = new CBMPLoader();
loadSink->LoadBMPFile("0.bmp");
InitGL();
this->Size = System::Drawing::Size(x, y);

but the image is not loaded (I think so). Is this wrong?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement