Sign in to follow this  
guitarguy

DirectX topic guidance/learningcurve

One thing that has always kicked me hard in the butt during my time at programming college/university is that more often than not, when teachers teach you a concept such as pointers or inheritance etc, they dont always give you an example of when it could be used in a professional program, or even better, a directx game What im looking for, is some simple guidance on a SPECIFIC order topics to learn, such as Vertices, matrix, primitives etc, WHY i need to learn them, and when we would use them i know this topic is subjective to my current level of programming and experience so i'll try make it clear now: i made visual basic programs using basic statements such as if and had a basic introduction to using sql and access learned prototypes and loops in c++ and made console quiz game learned boolean logic circuits and truth tables/karnaugh maps learned darkBASIC using more programming techniques, learned about directx backbuffer etc and made 2d games learned Java up to making a GUI and code for project program made an emulator in essembly learned UML modelling on borland Together moved to c++ using visual studio 2005, revised topics on cprogramming.com, can make a window and initD3D, made triangle using vertices i know that vertices make up a mesh or primitives, i know textures can be rapped around them, i know u can 3D model as an alternative, but i dont think i can quite visualize how to make a game using just these theories

Typically you'll only be progamming things on a vertex level when you are starting out 3D programming and trying to get a triangle or box to move around on the screen. Usually vertex information is stored in a mesh file which can basically be any model in the game (player model, tree, a lamp, etc...). Since models are made in modelling programs, they are usually defined in whatever scale/space they're created in. Matrices are used to rotate, scale, move, etc... the model in your world space (think of world space as being any place within your game world). There are built in functions DirectX provides to manipulate matrices as well as load and process the rendering of mesh files so you don't always have to go per vertex. Do a Google search on 'graphics pipeline', because it seems your question is more related to how the computer processes that information other than how to program it.