Sign in to follow this  
steveworks

pygame? game engine?

I am having trouble grasping the difference (if there is one) between something like pygame and a pre-existing game engine. Could someone please point out what it is or where I could find the difference.

PyGame is a library of routines that you can use to build a game, or to build a game engine. A game "engine" is a pre-configured, pre-integrated set of library routines and other code that creates a strong framework for making specific games.

Not every game needs an "engine." An engine is just a higher level of abstraction for managing increased complexity.

pygame is sdl in python. It will help you open a window and work with input events but that is about it. You are still responsible for writing all the code for yourself. Panda3d is an engine. I can turn on dynamic lighting with a single function call. It will load and render models at the touch of a button.

hello,

An engine usually means: it calls your code. Pygame is a library, it lets you call its code.

Pygame is a lot more than SDL though.

It's SDL + a bunch of other things. Including a lot of the SDL_* libraries, but also a lot of other code.

For example pygame has:
- pixel perfect collision detection.
- high level sprite classes that can minimise drawing.
- shape drawing code (lines, rects etc).
- pixel, and sound arrays. Which make modifying pixels and sound easy and fast.
- extra blitters... eg, BLEND_ADD, _MULT, etc.

Coming in pygame 1.9 are:
- camera class, (think eye toy, or webcam games)
- physics engine.
- other!