• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
steveworks

pygame? game engine?

This topic is 3620 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having trouble grasping the difference (if there is one) between something like pygame and a pre-existing game engine. Could someone please point out what it is or where I could find the difference.

Advertisement
PyGame is a library of routines that you can use to build a game, or to build a game engine. A game "engine" is a pre-configured, pre-integrated set of library routines and other code that creates a strong framework for making specific games.

Not every game needs an "engine." An engine is just a higher level of abstraction for managing increased complexity.

pygame is sdl in python. It will help you open a window and work with input events but that is about it. You are still responsible for writing all the code for yourself. Panda3d is an engine. I can turn on dynamic lighting with a single function call. It will load and render models at the touch of a button.

hello,

An engine usually means: it calls your code. Pygame is a library, it lets you call its code.

Pygame is a lot more than SDL though.

It's SDL + a bunch of other things. Including a lot of the SDL_* libraries, but also a lot of other code.

For example pygame has:
- pixel perfect collision detection.
- high level sprite classes that can minimise drawing.
- shape drawing code (lines, rects etc).
- pixel, and sound arrays. Which make modifying pixels and sound easy and fast.
- extra blitters... eg, BLEND_ADD, _MULT, etc.

Coming in pygame 1.9 are:
- camera class, (think eye toy, or webcam games)
- physics engine.
- other!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!