3d-program in 4 months

Started by
14 comments, last by Obbedemus 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Obbedemus
Now, then. I guess Ogre's homepage and Google is a good place to start, but any other recommendations on tutorials and stuff for Ogre? And since I've never tried Ogre before, the very basics (like installing) is naturally highest priority.

Oh, also, OT. Anyone knows a good, rather simple, way to make the workflow smooth? We'll probably be at different places and different times, but in the same city.

Once again, thanks!

Edit: Found "Pro OGRE 3D Programming" quite cheap (at least for me since the dollar is low). Worth buying? (Something like 25$)

Just to make it clear: I'm not recommending Ogre specifically, although apart from it's engine layout, it's pretty good. There are many more game engines around, it's just the one I have to most experience with.

I know the book. For putting something together the tutorials and the forum will suffice. The book will give you some more background information, but nothing you won't find online. But if you can pick it up cheap and you decide to go with Ogre, why not.
Advertisement
Hm, Ogre seems good like a good foundation to build on. But we'll see...
However, I realized I need some sort of audio SDK (?). Any recommended? I can go with SDL Mixer since I know it already, but thought there might be some 3d specific? (I think I have an idea on how to make Mixer "3d", though)
( /)(O.o)(> <)This is Bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
I would totally do it yourself. Useing game engines is all well and good but half the time you spend just reading their docs and figuring out how todo what you want in THEIR code. Never really seemed that great as a learning experience to me. You'd learn far more, and be far more employable if you write a tetris clone yourself instead of writing a full FPS in someone elses engine.

I always recon 2D games are the place to start, but remember you can do a 2D game in 3D to use your friends models. Something like a Raiden clone with 3D models and a 3D scene below them is still a 2D game. .. all your code works on x/y, then rendering is all done on x and y with z = 0, and the camera just looking down. So the logic is entirely 2D, its only during the camera placement you ever think in 3D. Something like that is definatly doable within 3 months. The NeHe tutorials will definatly set you on the right path - they're awsome!

Edit: I personally love fmod for audio. I write my hobby code useing openGL through SDL, fmod for audio and libpng for texture loading. All pro libs although libpng was a bit of a pain to get working first time round so one of the SDL img loading addons is probably a better option first time.

[Edited by - pto on July 5, 2008 8:32:33 AM]
Quote:Original post by Obbedemus
Hm, Ogre seems good like a good foundation to build on. But we'll see...
However, I realized I need some sort of audio SDK (?). Any recommended? I can go with SDL Mixer since I know it already, but thought there might be some 3d specific? (I think I have an idea on how to make Mixer "3d", though)

The Irrlicht Engine is another open source 3D C++ engine, there is also the IrrKlang sound engine made by the same guy.

Irrlicht is somewhat more limited than Ogre, but a lot easier to use for beginners(imho).
Quote:Original post by ptoYou'd learn far more, and be far more employable if you write a tetris clone yourself instead of writing a full FPS in someone elses engine.
Yes, naturally, but we're not thinking of getting work from this, this we do just for fun. But yes, we'd probably learn different (more) stuff. And I was "forced" to do a full 2d program this year (with SDL), so I'm kinda sick of it. The main point is not developing a full game or a simple engine, it is only to have something to do for 4 months. And that's why using an engine made by someone else seems more entertaining. And my friend will have more stuff to do as he is not quite so skilled in C++ (yet).
Actually, we don't really have a big plan what the goal of the game is, but making a man walk sounded 3d and somewhat doable. I'm reading about Ogre and will read about Panda and possibly Irrlicht.
Edit: We recently decided that we'll go for Ogre. This is because it seems more powerful that Irrlicht and Panda3D seemed to be partly Python, which I know nothing about.

[Edited by - Obbedemus on July 15, 2008 1:36:56 PM]
( /)(O.o)(> <)This is Bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement