Sign in to follow this  
littlekid

Operator Overloading

Normally I use: Interface& operator*() {......} and Interface* operator&() {......} However as I was looking through the _com_ptr_t template class that was provided by vc++ I came across this: operator Interface*() const {......} and operator Interface&() const {......} what does these type of operator overload means? How is it used?

No, these are typecast operators. Since the return value of a typecast must be the type you are casting to, there is no need to specify the return type separately.

"Interface& operator*()" is called for "*anObject", while
"operator Interface&()" is called for "(Interface&)anObject".

You can also do this with primitives: "operator int()", will be called for "(int)anObject".

It is an implicit casting mechanism. If you have:

class Foo {
int f;
};

class Bar {
public:
operator Foo &() { return foo; }
operator const Foo&() const { return foo; }

private:
Foo foo;
};

void example( const Foo & )
{
}

int main()
{
Bar bar;
Foo foo = bar; // allowed
example(bar); // allowed
}

It is considered dangerous because it may no longer be clear why the code compiles. In the above example if Foo and Bar were in separate header files, without looking I would have expected the code in main marked "allowed" to fail. Using an operator like asterisk or -> is a little more explicit because it is obvious you are doing something with the variable. This approach works well when the result of the dereference would be obvious, like some_smart_ptr<T>::operator*() would be expected to return a T &. The best way is usually to have an explicit function call, like std::string::c_str().