Boost Python - C++ class' private static data blown away before accessing in Python?

Started by
3 comments, last by Kylotan 15 years, 9 months ago
I've exposed a C++ class to Python using Boost Python. The class, let's say it's called Entity, contains private static data, which is an array of strings. Though I think it implements it using MFC's CPtrArray. I've also exposed a public function from Entity - let's say it's called foo. This function accesses the private static data (the string array). I have multiple instances of Entity stored in a custom C++ container, which is also exposed to Python as class EntityList. In Python, I retrive an Entity from the EntityList:

elist = EntityList()
elist.append(Entity())
elist.append(Entity())

entity = elist.get_at(0)

entity.foo()

But it crashes inside foo() as the private static data is empty; or rather the string array is empty. I know before that point that the private static data is valid when accessed earlier by the C++ code as the program works fine. It just won't work from Python, so somehow the private static data has been blown away but I can't work out where or why. The static data is setup at initialisation - my Python code is only called long after initialisation is complete. I know this is an impossible question to ask, but can anyone think of something obvious I need to look into? Thanks
Advertisement
I added a static dump() function to the Entity class that dumps the string array, and even if I just do the following in Python:

Entity.dump()

in Python, the private static data is empty. Doing the same from C++ works fine. Weird.
Is Python embedded or extended?
Embedded. I think it's a dll boundary problem - I think the Python module has its own copy of the static data, which hasn't been initialised.
From your original post, I would certainly hope it has its 'own' copy of the data; where else could it be?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement