Sign in to follow this  
AvengingRage

Performance Problems

Hi all, Happy 4th of July to the Americans out there. My question is about performance when trasnferring a program from one computer to another. I wrote a fairly simple Rubik's Cube program and on the main page it has a Cube that rotates until an option is selected (tutorial, game, "low" scores, etc.) The problem is, when I zip up this code and the bmps and stuff and send it to someone to try, they complain of it running really slowly. When I play it on this computer (even if I copy the files and move them from the directory they were compiled in) it runs just fine with no noticeable lag, but when someone does it on their computer they say they have to hold up/down for about a second to get the cursors to move in the main menu. I'm wondering what would cause such a dramatic change in the speed of the program and what I can do to fix it. Thanks!

Also, I realize you may want to look at the code, but its rather long so I didn't post it yet. I used the NeHe OpenGL tutorials as my basis so within the main game loop it does a bunch of checks for key input and then displays graphics appropriate to the current gameplay mode/menu mode. My question is more of a general one then about this specifically, though if it would help to look at my specific code, I will certainly post it.

Happy 4th of July to you, too! [smile]

Anyway, about the program, did you compile it in XP or Vista? Sometimes games that were compiled in XP run very slowly in Vista. Maybe you could ask those who tested it which version they ran it on. One game I played had the same exact problem yours did. I had to hold down the keys for at least a second in the main menu for anything to happen.

The game was compiled in XP and in one case definitely run in Vista. After I made some changes to try and speed it up a bit, it ran better in Vista. If this is indeed the root of the problem, is there any fix?

The one case I know when Vista runs games slower than normal is because the default drivers for Vista are slow. If you use the default drivers, you could download these and see if it runs faster.

But, if you say you fixed it and it ran better in Vista, it may be something else. Also, this happens usually when the game uses DirectX (The game that ran slow for me used DirectX, too).

Moonshoe: the game is coded in OpenGL, no directX here.

From the responses it sounds like this is a driver issue, not an issue with the code not being portable. Sounds good, I'll ask the testers to update their video drivers and see if that helps. Thanks guys!