Sign in to follow this  
carlito123

Needing some advise

Could somebody give me some advise or recomedations which language would suit the data transferal best and possible ways of implementing it so that the game will run as stable as possible. thanks. [Edited by - carlito123 on February 13, 2009 2:39:40 PM]

The language your current developers are most comfortable and experienced with.

Alternatively, it depends on the budget. You will need to hire new developers, have higher overhead in testing and development, and increased costs due to duplication of identical functionality across two languages.

Quote:
the game will run as stable as possible

Unless you encounter compiler bugs, it will depend solely on your development team.

Thanks Antheus, however there is no current developer language and no budget, this is a "for love" game you see :)
Our sole coder is writting the game in lingo but and as far as I understand is looking at perhaps using perl for multi user side?
Please forgive me but my understanding of code and coding terms is much to be desired so was hoping for some insight the this so that I may relay it to the team and then seek help in that language field.

If he knows perl, then he can write a server in perl. The quality of the experience will depend largely on what you can do on the client side, and what kind of quality you get on the server machine. If you try to run a game server on a shared hosting plan, it will likely introduce unacceptable jitter.

However, I will warn you that if the game wasn't initially written to consider networking needs, chances are that you'll need to re-write large parts of the simulation, input and game logic systems, or suffer potentially game-killing de-sync bugs.

Hey Hplus,

Our coder is looking at Perl just as a possibility, but Lingo is his major language and maybe even usable for the data communication between machines?.
We will rent a dedicated server eventually so hopefully there should be no or little lag I am hoping.
The game is only 6 weeks in so we are in a good possition to alter anything at this stage but I am certainly anticipating it considering networking needs. This is why we want to cross this hurdle early on.
I feel a little over my head here but I really need to get these potentialy "game killing" bugs ironed out early on, and as the team runner it comes with the job to look a little clueless on these forums ;)

Well, you can start by reading the Forum FAQ. It's more focused towards C/C++, because that's what most multiplayer games are written in, but any language that can deal with sockets should be able to be a server -- LISP, Ruby, Perl, C#, whatever. The most important part is that the server will need to run as its own process, something you embed into a web server (like Rails or PHP) won't do it.

I would recommend against Lingo for the server, as there's no good way of hosting and managing such a server.

Ah ok, So Lingos a nogo. Well let me read the FAQ you kindly posted and try and research some more but this seems to me to be the toughest side to game making.
Will let you know where we get to with this.
Thanks Hplus!