Sign in to follow this  
bam104

Program/method to design grid based levels?

Hi, I am creating the design documents for my Dream.Build.Play entry. The game is all about precise, grid based level designs and i am trying to find a good way to document this. I started drawing on squared paper but this isn't a great solution because there is not enough space on the paper, i can't just instance symbols about and the squares are too big for detail. Whilst on work experience at Kuju as an artist, the designer gave me a level plan with assets drawn on over a grid which matched collision tile sets. I had to place assets on the symbols making sure they didnt go out the grids. I saw him using a program to do this. It was probably inhouse but does anyone use a similar program? Or have a good method of doing this? Cheers, Dan/Bam.

Not sure what you mean, but I'm guessing you want to create 2D map images for use in your design document. You could use any number of image editing programs (Photoshop, Gimp, etc) but they arn't really designed for that sort of thing.

Off the top of my head there is Mappy ( http://www.tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php ) its ment as a basic 2D map editor for games. One of the features IIRC is it can render a full size .BMP of the map you generate. Might even use the map file it saves as a level design template for your own game later.

Cheers MSW.

That looks like just the thing. I will give it a go when i get back from work.

I wanted to create tile based maps then render them as an image which i will go onto use as a guide for my test level. Mappy appears to do this nicely. If i can create custom tiles that will be even better.