Canada! I be in it! Advice on what to get up to?

Started by
95 comments, last by coldacid 15 years, 9 months ago
When shopping for a winter jacket, two major things to keep in mind:

1. Get a full hood. Not one of those zip/snap on things, or one of those roll up into the collar thing. If it doesn't feel like it has padding/insulation in it, then generally it won't. That means it isn't keeping your head all that warm. Also, snap on ones are horrible for letting wind/snow blow onto the back of your neck.

2. Two way zipper. One that zips up closed, and then can be zipped up from the bottom. Doesn't seem like much, but being able to adjust this is great for anytime you find yourself sitting.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
You know what I realized is really really sad... Here we are... Middle of the summer... And we're VOLUNTARILY talking about winter...
--Ter'Lenth
Quote:Original post by Milkshake
And I still make my wife buy milk in cartons for me - but you'll need to get used to selecting your milk by %. The 3.25% and 4% ones are full cream, the 2% is lite white, and the <1% is skim.

It's often quite a bit cheaper in the bags, assuming you can go through 4 litres of milk by the expiry date. You're more likely to see 3.8% than 4%; and anyway, isn't that the same as anywhere else? (Further, cartons are generally pretty clearly labelled 'homo' (homogenized; whole milk for 3.25 or 3.8), '2%', '1%' or 'skim', which are kind of hard to misinterpret.)
Quote:Original post by Terlenth
You know what I realized is really really sad... Here we are... Middle of the summer... And we're VOLUNTARILY talking about winter...

Well, it takes a long time to prep someone for a Canadian Winter. Do you really want to put up with him complaining about frost bite or losing a finger or something 6 months from now?
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Maybe I'm just used to them, but Canadian winters really aren't that bad. I lived in Ottawa until I was 22. It gets to about -30 a lot of the time (bad days it can dip to -40) and I never really needed anything other than a sweater and a winter coat (mine was only a shell, it didn't have a liner).

Toronto isn't nearly as cold as Ottawa or the prairies.
True, but I have friends from Australia that complain about how they're 'Freezing to death!' ...

At +15C,...
The cold is bad at the beginning of winter but you adjust to it fast. After a week of -25 when it gets back up to -10 you'll be boiling to death in a light jacket.
Quote:Original post by Kaze
The cold is bad at the beginning of winter but you adjust to it fast. After a week of -25 when it gets back up to -10 you'll be boiling to death in a light jacket.

I can attest to that. Just make sure that you don't take a trip to warmer climes, however, or the cold will feel much worse when you get back.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Quote:Original post by coldacid
Quote:Original post by Kaze

I can attest to that. Just make sure that you don't take a trip to warmer climes, however, or the cold will feel much worse when you get back.

Not much makes you look more like a wuss than not being able to handle really really cold temperates like that. [headshake] Not even when you're acclimated to triple digit heat all year-round.

I shake like a wimpering church mouse in anything below 50 degrees. Fahrenheit.
Yeah the praries do get pretty bad, but once your used to it, its no big deal.
It can get down to -50 on the very odd days, but -30 to -40 are average in the dead of winter. By the time spring comes around and its -20 people are barely wearing anything and by -5 tee-shirts and +5 means break out the shorts.
Then in the middle of summer when some weeks its +35 or +40 (celcius), really kills the spirits, although for some reason the cold doesnt. Yes we are kind of weird in the pararies. In short, dont visit us in the middle of winter of summer unless you like it cold or hot.

Boolean you should just stock up on layers (Wind Breaker which is wind and water proof, a good liner for the wind breaker (unless you get an all-in-one jacket) and a fleace) and get a good pair of gloves and maybe even a face mask if you are not used to the cold for the first little while when winter comes along. Its always better to be prepared.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement