Sign in to follow this  

First Graphic Game

This topic is 3445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to learn to make my first graphical game. (i.e Not a text one) Is there a tutorial that shows how to import sprites, move these around on the screen, and get which key the user presses? Thanks, Homicidal

I second Lazy Foo's site. I found it easier to learn when I broke his programs down and saw why he was writing the functions he was writing verses using just the built in functions(such as the image loading function).

To start off, you'll need to choose whether you want to use OpenGL or DirectX for your graphics rendering. You can use a graphics library (like SDL) to help you, or you can write your own code from scratch if you like.

There are also game engines you can use to help you develop games, but you'll need to learn how to use them first.... sometimes it maybe easier just to write your own sprite renderer.

Depends on how far you are wanting to go with your programming... I myself would recommend Gamer Maker to the first timer who just wants to create something experimenal to buid upon.

A lot of people here would probably knock it since you aren't actually doing any programming but that's usually a good thing for those starting out because it gives you the foundation of how to design a game and introduces you to things you'll see in real programming: variables, loops, etc.

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

This topic is 3445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.