• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shannon Barber

What's the name of this data structure?

This topic is 3762 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need a data structure that sorts 'chunks' in a tree but keeps the elements in order in arrays - similar to a b-tree but the branch nodes do not contain any elements (just the left/right decision data); all the elements are in the leaf nodes and are in order. Does such a beast have a specific name? e.g.
                           /                             /                              /                               /                                /                                 /                                  4              14
                    / \             /                    /   \           /                     /     \         /                      /       \       /                   [0..4]    [5..9] [10..14] [15..19]

ug, source tags don't preserve line-endings?
      4              14
[0..4] [5..9] [10..14] [15..19]

Advertisement
Thank you!

A search for segtree came up empty, and I wasn't sure if they were the same thing or not.

I can guarantee that the leaf node elements have non-overlapping intervals, is an interval-tree still the best thing?

[Edited by - Shannon Barber on July 5, 2008 1:51:20 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!