• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
othello

SOLVED: Shadow Mapping and Texture Units

This topic is 3636 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Hmm... I figured it out... Apparently, using glClientActiveTextures breaks it, and in addition I had some memory errors that I neglected that kept me from noticing it (causing the artifacts). Thanks for your replies, I appreciate your time.p
Hi, I'm having a similar problem in programming a shadow map system to this person here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=483134 I am using Paul's tutorial, which apparently is a bit outdated, but it seems to be one of the few resources available to beginning programmers on shadow mapping. I can render shadows properly, but I cannot render a texture on the shadowed objects. When I try, The scene appears fully-lit. I assume this is because when I bind the texture, I test the newly bound texture instead of the depth texture. Simply adding glClientActiveTexture() and changing the texture unit for rendering my mesh does not work, I guess because it's trying to process the new texture unit with the shadow comparison. I am rendering the mesh with a vertex buffer object, but I do not think this makes any difference. Thanks for reading; if anyone wants I can post source, but I do not think it's necessary since this is a more conceptual problem. [Edited by - othello on July 6, 2008 12:38:23 AM]

Advertisement
GLSL or no? If its fixed function you might have to add a modulate or so in there.

//pseudo code
glActiveTex(...unit0);
bind(shadowMap)
glTexParamete(GL_COMPARE_R_TO_TEXTURE)

glActiveTex(...unit1);
bind(texture)

Draw();

Thanks for the reply. I tried adding GL_MODULATE, but it doesn't seem to change anything:

This is my function for binding the shadow texture:

// Bind and enable the shadow map texture + change the tex unit to 1
glClientActiveTexture( GL_TEXTURE1 );
glEnable( GL_TEXTURE_2D );
glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, mTempShadowMapTex );
glTexEnvi( GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE );

// Enable shadow comparison
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_MODE,
GL_COMPARE_R_TO_TEXTURE );

// Shadow comparison should be true ( not in shadow ) if r <= texture
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_FUNC, GL_LEQUAL );

// Generate an intensity
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_DEPTH_TEXTURE_MODE, GL_INTENSITY );

//Set alpha test to discard false comparisons
glAlphaFunc( GL_GEQUAL, 0.99f );
glEnable( GL_ALPHA_TEST );

// Disable textures and texgen
//
glDisable( GL_TEXTURE_2D );

This is the function for my texture class that binds the texture:

glClientActiveTexture( GL_TEXTURE0 );
glEnable( GL_TEXTURE_2D );
glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, mTexID );
glTexEnvi( GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE );

Adding the glTexEnv* with GL_MODULATE does not change anything. I'm not surprised because from what I understand, GL_MODULATE is the default mode. Am I missing something here (where it would be used in another function)?

UPDATE:
I rewrote the entire shadow generation using this tutorial: http://www.briandanchilla.com/files/resources/opengl/tutorial_series/6_shadowmap/shadowmap_tutorial.html and using immediate mode instead of VBOs.

It still doesn't work. I am using SDL, and I know I have to enable the use of the stencil buffer if I want to use it. Do I have to do anything similar for multitexturing to allow this to work?

Why do you need a stencil buffer for shadowmapping? And if the VBO version didn't work immediate mode isn't going to work either.

Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
Why do you need a stencil buffer for shadowmapping? And if the VBO version didn't work immediate mode isn't going to work either.

I was just giving the stencil buffer as an example. Interestingly, I did manage to get it working properly without VBOs. However when I try to use VBOs, the texture does not display properly (I'm assuming because I am using glActiveTexture instead of glClientActiveTexture). When I change to glClientActiveTexture, the shadowmap does not display.

Hmm... I figured it out... Apparently, using glClientActiveTextures breaks it, and in addition I had some memory errors that I neglected that kept me from noticing it (causing the artifacts).

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate your time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!