Sign in to follow this  
ThePPK

Output sound to multiple devices with XAudio2

DX SDK states that several XAudio2 instances can be created from a single thread, but on the other hand in IXAudio2::CreateMasteringVoice article there is a note: "Only one device can be used by XAudio2 at a time." So can I output sound to two sound cards? And if not why there is no any other mention about "only one device" in the whole XAudio2 reference? And how this can be suitable for MS to create a library with such awful limitation (deprecating DirectSound handles multiple sound cards perfectly)?

I need to output to 10+ speakers in my application. Currently used DirectSound solution requires 5 sound cards (and 2 speakers per each card). But this is unstable solution because I just can't use 2 or more sound cards of the same model (even 2 same Creative X-Fi sound cards get Windows to BSOD in 1 minute of hard simultaneous use). So the current solution is to use 5 sound cards of different models, but it's also not good as some soundcard drivers are not stable (especially true for USB sound cards) AND modern motherboards have max of 3 PCI slots.

The best solution I see is to use 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration and have up to 8 speakers per sound card. XAudio2 does this perfect but only for ONE sound card, so I can have only 8 speakers max. And this is not good enough.