Website color question.

Started by
6 comments, last by coryjamesfisher 15 years, 9 months ago
Can anyone take a few seconds to look at my color scheme and let me know if it looks good. I'm colorblind and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if my colors look good or not. Thanks a lot. www.wayoftheprogrammer.com Cory Fisher
Advertisement
I dont like the colour at all (personal opinion), I think they are way to "some word to describe colours that I dont know"

The colour reminds me of hospitals (clean and sterile)
Um, it's okay. In my opinion, if you're going to use a blue color scheme like that, you should complement it with some smooth, curvy-type graphics (if that makes any sense).

I would recommend putting something like that in that empty title bar, and replacing the 1px black borders with something a little more pleasant, I'm not sure what at the moment. And make sure you have a title, I hate seeing an address in the window title! [smile]
Looks okay, I personally don't like the color choices, but they go okay together.

If you are having trouble choosing colors that look good together for your site, check out this website: http://kuler.adobe.com/#

Graphic Designers go on there and post color "themes," various colors that look good together, you can search by a certain color to see how people have used it with other colors. Might help you out...
The color for the content area (where you have the blinking text and links) is a problem. It is a bright, light blue.

- Links are also blue in color. The blue links on the blue background don't have enough of a contrast difference, making them hard to distinguish.
- The page background color is white. The large amount of bright blue background on white make for an unpleasant combination of colors.
- The bright blue background is annoying to read upon.

Fortunately, a small change here can make a huge improvement. Desaturate the blue background of the left and right boxes. It can remain blue, but desaturation makes looking at the color easier.

I don't recommend you using the same shade of blue for the middle portion of the page. Desaturate it more significantly, and perhaps shift the color slightly.

EDIT: I should say, when you desaturate the color, you also want to compensate by lightening the color slightly.
Right now there isnt much diversity and I am concerned that the links dont contrast enough with the light blue background.

Creating a good color scheme is a bit more than picking a few colors and throwing them together. The difficult aspect is in picking colors that work well with each other. For this, I highly recommend doing a little research on color theory. This has a brief explanation of some basics and of course Wikipedia will get you started in more detail.

Right now, one of the faults of your scheme is that there are too many hues. When crafting a scheme start by picking a single hue. From that hue you can create more uniform colors by playing with the saturation and value and can create contrast by doing the same with that hue's compliment. This will get you a two-color scheme.

If you want to add a bit more complexity, pick one or two hues which are adjacent (fairly close on the color wheel) to the one you started out with.

To help me out with this, I wrote a small color wheel program but many image editing programs like Paint.NET provide very rich color wheel interfaces to use.
You might want to use a color picking tool since you are color blind.
Here are a few.
http://www.colorblender.com/

How To Identify Effective Color Schemes: More Color Matching Tools
Ok i updated it. Can you guys have another look.
Thanks so much for your input the color picker / wheel stuff helped a lot.
Thanks.

http://www.wayoftheprogrammer.com/

-Cory

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement