Sign in to follow this  
gentlesea

Localization and Translation

Hello everyone, I hope I will get some views from people working in the game industry. Currently I am thinking of a useful combination of combining my language skills with my computer science skills. I am studying computer science. I like to work with languages as much as programming. Maybe even more. The decision where to work after finishing university is quite difficult but of course very important. I did some research on opportunities on how to combine the two skills and the only idea I have is working as a translator. This is not exactly what I am trained on but nevertheless I think I am good enough to translate games for example from English to German. I also have knowledge of basic French. Blizzard Entertainment is one option I am considering. Are there any experiences that you'd like to share with me? The possibility to work in France translating from English to German is a combination I would really like. I would not mind working in a smaller company first of all, though. Which localization companies I should know about? An internship would be the best choice I guess. I am grateful for any input.

I don't think there's that much programming that actually happens in localization firms. My experiences of them have been that the developer just sends a spreadsheet of phrases that need translating, and then the localization firm sends it back with the translated phrases added.

Have you considered working in the Natural Language Processing field, for companies who make things like automatic translators and text analysers?