Sign in to follow this  

2 climbing mechanics questions

This topic is 3445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! 1. When shimmying on ledges, how do you think the speed should vary? At the moment I imagine as you shuffle along the ledge. 2. If the player pulls themselves up the ledge how does the collider box move? If it moves up and then along, the animator will have to animate to a target that moves down at constant speed and the move speed will have to match the animation speed. In the other case where it just suddenly appears on the top of the edge, it can cause problems if something tries to collide with the player and with interpolation with the camera .etc What is best? Thanks

1) eh? No clue what you mean or the graphic of a bounceing golf ball is suppost to represent.

2) There are millions of ways to have characters hanging off ledges. Its a very specific action, and can involve special collision zone triggers and whatnot. Usualy the character is animated in such a way that its center or point of origin represents the actual ledge itself. As hanging from ledges basicly involve only a few movement options (fall, climb up, shimmy left, shimmy right) the game engine may treat it as a special case, divorceing the character from routine level collision detection in the process. So its only concerned with collsions with other game objects. Thus when climbing up, the animator may maintain the same ledge edge point of origin as the hanging animation. Then animate the character climbing up over and to a few steps in front of the origin point and return to the nutral pose. So in game it plays the animation of climbing, then once finnished it restores routine collision detection with the level and places the character at the point where the climbing animation ended with the new point of origin at the characters feet.

At least going by the raw Tomb Raider model file for Lara, that seems to be the way they do it.

Hi Genjix,

what is up with those images.. they are not related to your question.

your question is confusing too.. but as I understand it you are trying to ask how to handle a collision box while climbing a ledge... well if you are playing an animation when climbing the edge then ignore the collision box.. no need to check while climbing.

regards,
Peter Wraae Marino

www.osghelp.com

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the image. It makes perfect sense to me. The distance between the golf balls represent time seperation as the character vaults over the ledge. The character is moving slowest as he flows over the top, and fastest at the start and end.

As for the second question, I disable normal map collision for characters in this state for my own game. They simply become linked to the ledge object and animate relative to its position (the animation controls movement and velocity). If they get knocked off by outside forces, the game just recovers from it by translating animation movement to physics movement, then slaps the normal collision back into place. I do the same thing with ladders, and certain doors and steps.

Quote:
Original post by Kest
I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the image. It makes perfect sense to me. The distance between the golf balls represent time seperation as the character vaults over the ledge. The character is moving slowest as he flows over the top, and fastest at the start and end.

The OP askes:

1. When shimmying on ledges, how do you think the speed should vary? At the moment I imagine (insert pic of bounceing ball) as you shuffle along the ledge.

shimmying in a shuffle along the ledge is not the same action as vaulting over a ledge.

That the image represents a different action to what the OP is asking is why we are confused.

Well, either the OP meant vaulting over the ledge, and everything makes sense, or he meant shuffling sideways on the ledge, and we're all confused. Take your pick.

He also refers to pulling up and moving down in the second question, rather than shuffling sideways.

This topic is 3445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.