• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Effect from Resource

This topic is 3578 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Right now I am using .fx files for my effects. However, I only have a few .fx files for my application and I'd rather just embed them in the EXE as a resource. But I am not sure how to do this. In Visual Studio, do I just right click on the project > Add Resource > Import, and import the .fx file? Then how do I get a string/pointer to the resource to pass to D3DXCreateEffectFromResource?

Advertisement
I don't know much about adding resources to projects, I'm afraid. But the normal way of getting a pointer to a resource is MAKEINTRESOURCE(resourceId). That returns LPSTR.

If I remember (from the old days), when you import it, you'll have to give it a custom resource type. You can use something like RCDATA (which was actually recognized as a resource in the "old" days). It will be given a resource id. ID_RCDATA1 or something, which you can use in the MAKEINTRESOURCE call.

If I also remember correctly, that resource will be deleted from your resources whenever you add or create another resource since RCDATA is not recognized as a valid resource type. I think the way to hack around that is to create another resource file (.rc2) and copy and paste the RCDATA into it. Text edit the project .rc file and add a line "#include "whatever.rc2"

Try it out in a COPY of your project FIRST! Text editing resource files is not for the novice!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement