scrolling background

Started by
5 comments, last by jagguy2 15 years, 9 months ago
If I want to develop a game with a 2D scrolling background eg like a marios bros game from left to right, do i need to use tiles for this? I was last told to create a scrolling background , split the background up into tiles and display a columns of tiles to the left on every movement. Now i am using silverlight without great bitmap support. Is this correct or is there another way
Advertisement
Scrolling Games (not yet complete, but it answers your questions).
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Scrolling Games (not yet complete, but it answers your questions).

I know the tiling way but the 1st method where you have large background seems interesting. If you split the bitmap into sections and join them together then may be that will look good. YOu also need to draw objects that interact on background so the background has no collision aspect.

The problem with tiling is that the games can look to 'tiled' and the look becomes a little hard on the eye .

You could also use doodads, or varied-sized cutouts that you paste together into the scrolling background - its a good idea if you want to decorate the background with varied-sized things like hills, trees, etc, without having the tiled look (a tree image is pasted onto the background as a single image, not a series of tiles).

The 2-D indie game Aquaria uses doodads/cutouts. The editor of that game also lets you shrink or expand cutouts to any desired size.
[url="http://groupgame.50.forumer.com/index.php"][/url]
Quote:Original post by Tangireon
You could also use doodads, or varied-sized cutouts that you paste together into the scrolling background - its a good idea if you want to decorate the background with varied-sized things like hills, trees, etc, without having the tiled look (a tree image is pasted onto the background as a single image, not a series of tiles).

The 2-D indie game Aquaria uses doodads/cutouts. The editor of that game also lets you shrink or expand cutouts to any desired size.

in silverlight can i use a scrolling background of large size? it seems maybe tiles in this is my only option

does this game use tiles or large bitmap to scroll through the screen?

How does this screen move to the right, with what method?
http://www.2dplay.com/spider-monkey/spider-monkey-play.htm
i got my question wrong as with tiles games you have the foreground as the background, with extra sprites again drawn on top of that but you can collide with the background.

Having the background as an image and foreground as smaller images is more of the norm these days and it looks better. SO to create a scroll game i just draw foreground images off screen and roll them in , and keeping the background as just an image.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement