Is it possible to make a PS3 game?

Started by
11 comments, last by PaulCesar 15 years, 9 months ago
I know this might have been answered before, but I heard people can program PS3 games using Linux. Though I heard you can't use certain parts of the PS3 when doing this, but I just wanted to know if any of this was true.
Advertisement
"if any of this was true."
Yes all true.
Yes, it's completely possible to program for the ps3 without the devkit, and progress is even being made to access the RSX.

Personally I'd recommend going the Xbox Arcade route if you're looking to make a console game for cheap though.
I don't know about that since a XNA License is almost $100 a year, that being said does PS3 linux use DirectX or OpenGL?
It uses a modified version of OpenGL
Ok, now it all makes sense.
Quote:Original post by i_is_want_smart
It uses a modified version of OpenGL

No it doesn't, he asked about the linux kit, with the linux kit you don't get any hardware acceleration. You should however be able to install a software OpenGL driver. (it shouldn't be too hard to get Mesa3D up and running).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
And while the PS3 provides an OpenGL|ES implementation to developers, it's not the native API and nobody really uses it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Hey Bryo,

I really really don't mean to sound rude, but how much do you know about game development? Have you written any games before? Have you written games using C++ DirectX/OpenGL?

If you haven't go with XNA like someone suggested, start with the free kit for pc as it allows you to move to the 360 at a later date.
Actually I can't program, but I thought I would ask the question anyway, I just that I heard about it on some site so I wanted to ask about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement