Sign in to follow this  
velentry

Starting a game

Hi it's me Vel, Just wandering if i have everything i could need to pull a game together: 1:Python (just general scripting) 2:Models 3:An API (DirectX) is this all i would need to make a game i already know there is alot to do but i was wandering if there was anything i was missing off, or have i gone the completely wrong way about it. Regards Velentry P.S this isn't a topic about the language i am using just encase people start saying Python is rubbish or you would not recommend it for making games.

Quote:
Original post by velentry
is this all i would need to make a game

You need to know programming. Without knowledge of programming, models and an API are completely useless.

You also need HTML and variables.

Seriously, just get to programming and learning already. Stop wasting time with all those questions that beat around the bush. When you know enough in order to make the game you want, you'll know it yourself, and you'll know what you need. Opinions from others in this kind of question are useless.

I am learning at the same time i just want to make sure i have everything i've done the whole hello world thing and started making a ball move around the screen yes i know it is miles away from where i need to be but like it's been said i have to start somewhere.

But however i do not see the point in getting irate just because i am inquisitive to how it will all come together at the end yes it is very well telling me to simply programme but for example i am using Python i just wanted to know after making a script that may make the map move when a player is at the edge of the map how on earth would i implement it.

So yes i'm sorry if i am somehow making you annoyed but if you have been reading my posts you would see one has a script for something (it wasn't finished) since it kept crashing so before you go on about me wasting peoples time and things i'm not. i just like to see how things will come too in the end and sorry if that annoys you but it isn't going to change i am who i am.

Vel

Don't misread direct, blunt, straight-to-the-point-ness as irritation.

It sounds like you'll also need a game design. You may also need sound, music, and textures.

Velentry, everyone played a joke on you. Python is a bad language, I have no idea what models are, and APIs are only for bad languages, because they need APIs. You really should be using SPL.

Make a few simple games first to demonstrate some of the features of the API and to learn at the same time, and then put them all together with a real game.

Wow this thread got hostile!

Python and PyGame usually come highly recommended. As far as making a game it depends on how complex you want to get. What type of game were you looking at making?

Quote:
Original post by velentry
I am learning at the same time i just want to make sure i have everything i've done the whole hello world thing and started making a ball move around the screen yes i know it is miles away from where i need to be but like it's been said i have to start somewhere.

But however i do not see the point in getting irate just because i am inquisitive to how it will all come together at the end yes it is very well telling me to simply programme but for example i am using Python i just wanted to know after making a script that may make the map move when a player is at the edge of the map how on earth would i implement it.

So yes i'm sorry if i am somehow making you annoyed but if you have been reading my posts you would see one has a script for something (it wasn't finished) since it kept crashing so before you go on about me wasting peoples time and things i'm not. i just like to see how things will come too in the end and sorry if that annoys you but it isn't going to change i am who i am.
Vel

You seem to be missing something, which is natural since you're just beginning. But be sure to imprint this on your mind: First of all, if you go down that route(make your own games using programming languages) you will have to become a good programmer. And the single most important thing you need to learn is how to solve problems and designing algorithms. Languages can be rated good or bad judging by how much they get to your way through this process, but in the end the problem-solving is the same in all of them. And you will learn how to solve problems by reading books about algorithms and data structures, but more importantly, by practicing, long and hard. Endless days and nights, hours upon hours trying to figure out problems that will escalate in difficulty as you're getting better and better. It's not easy at all, and if you're the kind of impatient beginner that asks 'Ok, I've made hello world, when do I start making my RPG', you're not going to make it. 'Hello world' and other starter exercises are not some obligatory steps you need to skim over in order to be 'legally' ready to write a real game. They're supposed to teach you important things, and you should spend huge amounts of time playing with them. If you're not enjoying spending hours upon hours making and refining a 'guess the number' game, you're not cut out for this, plain and simple.

And stop thinking so much about the tools you're going to use. They don't matter as much. You can solve any problem in pretty much any programming language. I mean really, what does your question means? 'Do I have everything I need?'. It's pointless. The one thing you need is to know how to design software. If you don't have that, you don't have anything. You may as well gather the best tools and middleware in the world, it would be useless to you. OTOH, if you do have those skills, then you will be able to answer those questions yourself, because frankly noone knows what your game 'needs' but you. You can make a game by using just assembly and MS paint, or you can make a game by using 3D Studio, 20 middleware libraries and the Unreal Engine. But without the ability to solve problems, you can't do anything. So focus on that for now. When you become better, you will see those answers you're seeking from others to be apparent to you.

And I'm not irritated at all by you. Really. I just hope your next topic will be about a technical issue(which you will have spend time researching yourself), and not about what XYZ fancy trendy technology you 'need' to use.

[Edited by - mikeman on July 6, 2008 12:01:03 PM]

Its not about what you have, its about what you know.

Knowing a bunch of techniques and things is a start. Then using those things to create something new is the next challenge.

Like an artist. He needs a canvas, paintbrush and a huge amount cans of paint to make a painting. Still, another artist can make stunning images with just a small piece of coal.

But then again... I think Im just re-iterating the previous posts here.