• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Vertex lists and poor results

This topic is 3575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya. I have recently begun exploring the world of 3D graphics and began pondering the ways of transferring model files for my applications. I began by downloading a free "office-chair" model for Blender, and exported it as .obj -file. Internally the file seems simple enough, a few informative header lines and a whole horde of vertexes. # Blender3D v245 OBJ File: office_chair.blend # www.blender3d.org v -0.703327 -2.860012 0.191537 v -0.516006 -2.860012 0.003550 v -0.081397 -2.746372 0.436619 .... And so on. I programmed a simple Class for opening and loading all the vertex data into a huge array of Vertex objects. The thing works well, and Everything works out well, until the actual rendering starts... http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1512/lolgn9.jpg My program and I don't actually share a common vision of the chair, which brings us to the heart of my dillemma. I assumed that the vertexes in .obj -file are all describing triangle primitives and are located neatly so, that by just plotting them one after another everything would go on nicely. Apparently I was horribly wrong. How on earth am I supposed know which vertexes make triangles and which ones make quads? What if there are polygons? The .obj -file provides absolutely no clues on that matter. At the moment I am only trying to squeeze through the basic geometry. Normals, texture mapping or surfaces are not the focus here, so I am purposefully igoring those for now. Im sure someone else has already solved this one...

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Stoo
How on earth am I supposed know which vertexes make triangles and which ones make quads? What if there are polygons? The .obj -file provides absolutely no clues on that matter.

Do a google search for "obj file-format".

In your .obj file, there are lines which begin by the letter "f". These lines let you know how to order vetices.

I really should have googled first...

The connection between vertexes, their numbers and faces is something I should have known.

Thanks for help guys, this has cleared a lot of confusion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement