In need of help.

Started by
2 comments, last by Hnefi 15 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone! I am a 13 year old kid, who has always really had a great interest in becoming a computer developer. I started a few years ago getting into using simple software to make really cheesy 3D games (3D Gamemaker) and I am now quite fluent in the markup language HTML. I want to learn C++, but I find it rather difficult, and I would just like a few suggestions on how to start learning. I already know very little amounts, and have never succesfully programmed anything decent. I also have some of the Torque game engines and game builder, but I find these hard to use aswell, but I am managing. I am not too sure what programs to use to program either, like to write the scripts, and I also have many game ideas I would like to make. So overall I would like to be an all around computer developer, but at the moment I want to make games, but I just can't seem to keep the C++ in my head, I just forget because I find it hard?? Any suggestions on how to boost ahead in what I am doing would be great. Thanks.
Advertisement
If you want to stick with C++, I recommend the free book in the 2nd link in my sig. Also, I recommend that you use Visual C++ 2008 Express. It is free and quite powerful.

However, know that C++ is a difficult language to start with. Something like C# or python will be easier and you will get more stuff done more quickly with them. I don't have any links for C#, but if you want to check out python, this looks like a good place to start (apparently there's a newer version, but looks like it's incomplete).
Since at the moment you just want to make games, it be worth considering looking at a 'Game Maker' like program/tool that allows you to program or script specific logic and behaviour that isn't readily available as part of the tool.

YoYo Game Maker and 3D Game Studio both are point and click tools but also allow you to script in bespoke logic and behaviour which will hopefully ease you into the programming world.

Here is an example of what could be done with Game Maker with scripting support.

Don't forget, you are still 13. There is plenty of time to learn whatever programming language that is mainstream when you are ready to fully turn this into a career.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

If you're 13 and can differentiate between programming languages and markup languages, you're off to a good start ;)

As others have said, you are still (very) young. While C++ is something you'll probably get into eventually, there is no need to start there. It might be better to start with a language that lets you learn more about algorithms and less about resource management.

I would suggest starting with either Python or C#. You may even want to consider Common Lisp; while it is not an ideal game language, it is both powerful and beginner friendly, and might teach you some valuable lessons about data structures and program structure early on. Those are lessons you will have to deal with anyway, and the sooner you learn them the better IMHO.

Once you are reasonably proficient with any of those languages and have used them for a year or two, you can move on to C++ if you still feel like it.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement