C++ STL -- how important?

Started by
30 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 15 years, 9 months ago
So I'm reading this book calling "The C++ Programming Language" to help reinforce what I have already learned. Stroustrup emphasizes the use of the STL over integral arrays. My guess is that the stl's string, vector, and map are just dressed up arrays with functions to help out. He warns against trying to write your own, but never really says why. Besides things like "the stl is fast". He uses words like "ought" and "proper" to further demote other philosophies. I really want to know how important is the stl in REAL games? Especially things like cin and cout , are they even used?
Advertisement
Depends heavily on your definition of "Real Games". Many game development studios eschew the STL in favor of more focused data structures, sometimes to work around compiler constraints (Compilers for consoles are notoriously bad), other times to work around memory / efficiency constraints.

However, the STL will almost always be superior to the raw versions of what they abstract. std::vector, for example, will perform equally well as a raw array, with the benefit of optional bounds checking and automatically resizing (which takes up extra memory). Using raw arrays is prone to error, and indeed, using std::vector is almost always superior to using a normal array.

Stroustrup's advocacy of the STL is really just denunciation of the more unsafe portions of C++, such as raw pointers (vector and boost's smart pointers will cover most of these) and C style strings (std::string offers huge benefits over null terminated character arrays).

Do take note that std::map is not simply a 'dressed up array'. A map is an associative container, allowing you to relate one set of data to another, often internaly implemented as a red-black tree. This data structure is rather non-trivial, and writing your own would almost certainly result in errors and segfaults.

More specifically, std::cin and std::cout are rarely used in graphical games, since they imply the use of a console. Loggers, however, prominently feature the use of std::ofstream and the like.

The STL is very important, and even if game studios do not use them, it is no excuse for you not to use them. If you ever find that the STL is a bottleneck in your applications (In release mode, after you have disabled safe iterators and the like and profiling), then you can refactor them out.

[size=1]Visit my website, rawrrawr.com

The STL is part of C++. Thus if you don't know the STL then you don't know C++.

It's a bad idea to write your own versions of vector etc, because the STL's version of vector is:
1) Well defined. There is a standard that guarantees how it will behave, and the big-oh complexity of different operations.
2) Implemented by the same people who wrote your compiler. They're probably smarter than most of us ;)
3) Well tested. Everyone with your compiler has tested these classes, so you can safely assume they are free of bugs.

In the past however, some platforms have had pretty crappy C++ compilers, with pretty crappy implementations of the STL. If you're on one of these platforms then it is often worth your while avoiding "normal practices" when it comes to the STL...
Quote:Original post by VprMatrix89
My guess is that the stl's string,

Probably.
Quote:vector,

Yes, by intentional design. The C++ standard mandates that a non-empty vector can be passed ala &v[0] to a function expecting a C style array of the same type and work, by guaranteeing that elements are contiguous. (An exception: std::vector<bool> makes no such guarantees)
Quote:and map

No, impossible by design. Typically a red black tree, although other trees are at least legal.

Quote:are just dressed up arrays with functions to help out. He warns against trying to write your own, but never really says why. Besides things like "the stl is fast".

"The SC++L is fast" is 1 reason why, but it admittedly doesn't go into the details. Aside from strict algorithmic performance requirements set forth by the standard, modern implementations use a huge bag of tricks to perform at their best -- empty base optimization, return value optimization, tag based dispatch to optimized versions, and general tailoring to the compiler they're targeted for. It's very intentionally designed to be damn hard to beat for the tasks they're designed to solve.

On top of this, it's already written, debugged, and usually has another spitload of extra features for debugging pre written, thus reducing the amount of code you usually have to consider as being possibly at blame for various bugs that creep up in your projects as they inevitably do.

Quote:He uses words like "ought" and "proper" to further demote other philosophies.

In just about every programming language, using the standard library provided by it is widely encouraged and considered proper, in part because it's what everybody is used to and expecting you to use. Similar applies to the Standard C++ Library which absorbed what continues to be labeled "the STL". Even when custom containers are required, they usually implement the standard idioms -- naming for various members, iterators, range based operations, etc.

These help reduce the costs of getting a new programmer up to speed on existing code -- if you're using the same patterns they're used to, that's one less thing they have to learn before they're caught up to where the rest of the team is at. Nonstandard interfaces to the same concepts should only be considered with caution and good reason.

Quote:I really want to know how important is the stl in REAL games? Especially things like cin and cout , are they even used?

cin is probably almost never used in "real" games, on account of most games not needing console io. cout or ofstream might be -- while iostreams are better than their C stdlib equivalents, both have enough deficiencies that a custom solution is often required for anything beyond fairly basic logging. The boost library collection has a bunch of libraries trying to help target some of those deficiencies -- and provide alternatives (e.g. boost::serialization for general data saving)

And, while game development has been a field notoriously slow in picking up new tools, I'm under the impression that many studios are using C++ standard containers, even if their end product ends up needing customized containers for large portions of their code e.g. on oddball consoles such as the PS3 where SC++L support has been traditionally sorely lacking (as far as I know).

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on July 7, 2008 1:19:02 AM]
Yes, I've heard that on the PS3, you'll get massive amounts of cache misses with STL. The main reason Stroustrup advocates STL is probably because of the familiarity. It's too bad he uses words like "ought" and "proper" instead of delving into the real reason. In software even more than games the code will be kept and reworked many many times by different developers. Using STL will allow these developers to understand the code right off the get go. Books such as Code Complete, and most of Effective C++, describe techniques to write code that will be easy to read and delve into these kind topics (Effective C++ gets more into efficiency than Code Complete, which is almost all organization).
The STL is one of those things, it's quite difficult to write good quality, idiomatic C++ code without proper usage of the STL.

STL is also pretty useful in that it caters for extension by design. Adding your own algorithms, functions and containers isn't too difficult assuming fairly good familiarity with the library.

The real problem with STL is that for console development it's just completely inappropriate. That might sound like a sweeping statement and it is, but it's the conclusion most developers might draw after reading about the EASTL, which EA effectively wrote from the start to address the major design flaws in STL preventing good performance on consoles, which often have unusual memory or cpu constraints.

If you're writing a game for the PC, Mac or Linux then you can probably get away with using STL, and in fact it's an extremely important tool. However, you should be aware that it is not perfect.
IMO it's as simple as this:
If you don't utilise the STL, you'll end up reinventing the wheel.

As some have already mentioned, in some cases it's necessary to do so (ie consoles), but for the large part failure to use it just means frustration when you have memory management problems, which can be extremely difficult to find and fix.

cheers,
metal
Well I don't know what C++ you read before Stroustroup's but the way he shows in his book is the modern and according to the creator of the language the way you should be using C++ in your programs.
If you read one of the highly recommended C++ books like "Accelerated C++" or C++ Primer they also rarely resort to using old C style arrays if at all and also emphasis using the STL.
Anyways I don't remember if he mentions specifically why in the book since it's been a while since I read it but he says why on his webpage here:

What's wrong with arrays?

In terms of time and space, an array is just about the optimal construct for accessing a sequence of objects in memory. It is, however, also a very low level data structure with a vast potential for misuse and errors and in essentially all cases there are better alternatives. By "better" I mean easier to write, easier to read, less error prone, and as fast.

But yeah if you read the whole book you'll notice Stroustroup pretty much tries to get you to code the new improved C++ as he imagines people will use it and restricts old legacy C to the appendix-LOL! It is a C++ book after all!
Anyways, the only problem I have with this approach is that I see way too much legacy C code and C++ used as a better C in most of the professional game source I've seen like Quake,HomeWorld,etc to try to banish arrays to the dustbin. So I'd say STL hasn't caught on as much as was hoped by Stroustroup at least for game programming since I've only seen maybe 2 out of my like 20+ game programming books in C/C++ actually make use of it. My Frank Luna DirectX book and Programming an RTS Game with Direct3D book.
But if you are starting a new game in C++ I'd do myself a favor and use it as much as possible since there should be no noticeable peformance penalty in using it. At least that's what Stroustroup's been saying as long as I can remember but I'm sure there are people still using outdated C++ compilers or being forced to use one that will show there is a difference in some instances?
Plus, you'll save yourself some headaches and grief;)

[Edited by - daviangel on July 7, 2008 7:49:32 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by daviangel
Anyways, the only problem I have with this is personally I see way too much legacy C code and C++ used as a better C in most of the professional game source I've seen like Quake,HomeWorld,etc. So I'd say STL hasn't caught on as much as was hoped by Stroustroup at least for game programming since I've only seen maybe 2 out of my like 20+ game programming books in C/C++ actually make use of it. The Frank Luna DirectX books come to mind.

You have to consider timeframe and legacy.

When Quake was written the C++ Standard hadn't even been finished and it hasn't been until recent years that we've had compilers and Standard libraries which have been optimised well enough to use.

The classic example of this, which I wish I could point you to the post for but I can't, is Doom3 and iD's custom containers. I would guess iD used custom containers due to legacy code from older games, however when tested against the Std. C++ Lib containers the latter outperformed them by a significant factor.

Granted, as already pointed out, on consoles the Std. Lib containers probably aren't going to be your best bet due to other contraints, but for the average PC based C++ coder if you arent' using them then chances are you are doing it wrong.

I'm a big CSL advocate, so I'm not going to tell you to not use it. But I also admit that the CSL has many game development related issues - even on PC.

The biggest problem is about how it handles memory. Consider a typical std::vector<T>, with its typical std::allocator<T>. Unless you carefully design your program to know how many units you want to push_back() in your vector, you end up with a few problems:

1) you don't know when memory allocation occurs
2) you don't know when your objects are copied
3) you don't know how many times your objects are copied

Unfortunately, these problems can prove to be quite awfull to deal with, especially when you want to optimize memory handling. Even if you write your own allocator, you're still not responsible for calling it, so the major problems remains.

The CSL is quite a good piece of software, and - as I said - I advocate its use. Nevertheless, you shall remember that it's not a silver bullet. I fyou have very specific needs that are nut fulfilled by the CSL, you'll have to write your own containers/algorithm/...

So here is what everyone shall do:

1) code your project using the CLS
2) measure
3) if you found problems that cannot be handled correctly with the CSL, consider going another route.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement