Sign in to follow this  
lonewolff

How do I execute code server side in IIS 6?

Hi there, I have written a small counter application designed to increment the (numerical) contents of a file when executed. It is an .exe file written in c++. I am hosting a web page on the same server using IIS 6 on a Windows Server 2003 (standard edition) platform. How would I go about executing the file (server side) when the page is accessed from the internet? Do I use the 'Post' command somehow, within the HTML? I remember (vaugely) with Microsoft Front Page 98 there was the ability to do this. But, regretfully, I dont have a clue as to what the HTML code was that did it. Any help on this would be awesome!

How do I run CGI programs on IIS 6?

You will probably want to do something like modify your program to update the server local file, then print the web page's HTML source to the HTTP response object. There is no way to have a WWW resource execute code except through extension technologies that presume that the execution of the code generates part or all of the resource.

Thanks for the link (and a quote from it)
Quote:
If your CGI programs are compiled .exe files, written in C or C++ or any other language that produces .exe files, then you'll just need to configure IIS to allow executables to be run...

I have created a virtual directory on my site called 'CGI' and have set the permissions.

But still cant execute the app. Another tutorial said I should be able to go to "http://localhost/CGI/myapp.exe". But all I recieve is 'this page cant be displayed'.

I know the link is valid because I can view any html files within the same directory.