(Almost) recursive typedef

Started by
4 comments, last by dmatter 15 years, 9 months ago
I tried to make:

typedef std::map<mcl::ptr<Island>, mcl::ptr<Node> > Node;
which of course didn't compile. (mcl::ptr is a smart pointer). So I found a way around it:

class Node2;

typedef std::map<mcl::ptr<Island>, mcl::ptr<Node2> > Node;
    typedef std::map<mcl::ptr<Island>, mcl::ptr<Node> > Node2;
Is it valid C++? It compiles under my compiler, but is it portable? PS. I know I can use a struct.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by rozz666
I tried to make:

which of course didn't compile. (mcl::ptr is a smart pointer).

The reason that doesn't compile is you're trying to use Node in it's own definition. You can't use the type 'Node' before it's defined.

Quote:Original post by rozz666
So I found a way around it:
    class Node2;    typedef std::map<mcl::ptr<Island>, mcl::ptr<Node2> > Node;    typedef std::map<mcl::ptr<Island>, mcl::ptr<Node> > Node2;

Is it valid C++? It compiles under my compiler, but is it portable?

PS. I know I can use a struct.

Again, you're trying to use types (Node2 in the first typedef) before they've been defined. This doesn't work on any compilers I have on hand, and I can't see how it'd be standard C++, let alone portable.
Quote:Original post by godecho
Again, you're trying to use types (Node2 in the first typedef) before they've been defined. This doesn't work on any compilers I have on hand, and I can't see how it'd be standard C++, let alone portable.

It's allowed, and portable, to use types before they are defined—this is precisely the point of forward declarations. The real question here is whether an instantiation of a standard library container (or any other class template) can be forward-declared as class, and I don't know the answer.
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk

It's allowed, and portable, to use types before they are defined—this is precisely the point of forward declarations. The real question here is whether an instantiation of a standard library container (or any other class template) can be forward-declared as class, and I don't know the answer.

Allow me to amend my previous statement: You can't use a type before it's declared.

edit: I missed his forward declaration in his second example oops, :blush:
Allow me to amend my previous statement: You can't use a type before it's declared. In his example, he didn't provide any forward declarations.

I'm fairly certain that class Node2; is a forward declaration in his second example.
Neither of them compile for me, nor could I get them working in that form since, AFAIK, it is not possible to forward declare a typedef.

If we assumed the latter was legal though then surely this would have worked for the first one:

class Node;

The most-similar work around that I can think of is this:

class Node : public std::map<mcl::ptr<Island>, mcl::ptr<Node> > { };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement