Can anyone comment on the Open University Computing Courses?

Started by
4 comments, last by Stoo 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Im looking at doing either of the following Degrees BA/BSc (Hons) Computing and Mathemtical Science or Bsc (Hons) Computing. However a friend has now maid me think again as the course teached Java rather than C++ How much of a hinderance will this be in aquiring employment after completing the degree if any. Is C++ still the big daddy when it comes to programming? Thanks for your time. Zero.
Advertisement
Quote:Is C++ still the big daddy when it comes to programming?
Depends. Regardless, it's an inappropriate beginner language. Java is far more acceptable though.
I started an OU postgrad computing course. To be honest, I was disappointed with the level of technical detail. I did an OO design module which used SmallTalk, which was fairly fun and informative. After that though, I couldn't see any postgrad modules that'd actually teach me anything in any depth. Certainly couldn't see anything that was worth the asking price.

At the end of the day though, almost all university courses are like that to some extent. The OU's computing courses are at least as good as the majority of other university's.

Don't worry about Java/C++ - whichever they choose it's severely unlikely to be the only language you ever learn. My first university courses were taught using Modula2, which I've never used since. I did some C++ at university, but it took another 5-10 years before I was anywhere near a professional standard with it.

As far as employment after the course goes, I think Java is more likely to get you a job than C++. C# and VB.net are probably about even with Java. C++ is still the king of game developent, but hardly anybody else can be bothered.
[size="1"]
The main reason im considering the OU now is due to personal circumstances i should get it all paid and a grant :) so yay free education.

Ill be signing up shortly :)

Thanks for the advice.
Have fun [smile]
[size="1"]
At least around here the thing goes like:

Basics with java -> Java as Java. ->

Methods of Software engineering ->

Discrete Math -> Data structures ->

After this amount of stuff, you may enter C -programming course followed by C++.

I doubt open university will even bother arranging C -courses. I haven't spotted one being held around here anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement