Sign in to follow this  
Binxalot

Keep using Flash? Or is it time to move on?

I've been using flash to design games for a while now, I've finished one (vilestrobo.com) and I've been steadily working on another which is more complex mysticuniversity.com. I'm comfortible with flash, I know how it works, I can go online and find help at flashkit and I can easily create graphics, import them and I can test games immediately. The downsides to flash are many, one is that games that use a ton of sprites or call complex functions will stall or lag, there is also a ton of bugs related to hitboxes and missed hits and those got more complicated because a flash movies performance is totally based on the browser / pc which makes it difficult to design games that will work well on slow and fast computers. SO, I'm looking to venture out of flash development and into something else? But what? Has anyone else works in flash for a while and found another software suite that is easy to pick up if most of your programming knowledge is flash actionscript / php based? -Binxalot

I've used Flash/Actionscript before, but what I've done is nowhere near as complicated as your work. But I know what you mean about the lag you get when you start adding a lot of stuff.

My advice is if you really like Flash, then you should probably continue using it and strengthen your skills. There's lots of opportunities for people who know how to use Flash and use it well, for movies and games. Since you know how to use Flash very well and make it as efficient as possible, possibilities are endless. [smile]

Just curious, what version of Actionscript did you use to make those games?

How are you doing your rendering and collision detection? If you aren't doing so already you can get a lot more performance by doing some addtional work yourself and avoiding some of the overhead in just using Flash as-is.

To cut out the overhead of rendering you'd want to look into the bitmap manipulation Flash provides. See this article for an example of one way to speed up Flash's rendering.

Depending on your needs you can almost certainly also improve on both the performance and reliability of Flash's built in hittesting: See these tutorials for an example.

If you want to move on I'd personally recommend either Python, or C# with XNA, but if you're already comfortable with Flash then I'd suggest seeing if you can't get more out of it before moving on.