Sign in to follow this  
Kada2k6

Simple lightmap headaches

Might be a matter of render order. However, I guess there's no correct order since one light would "cut off" the other in either order.

You could try additive blending, i.e. using GL_ONE one both the source and the destination.

Hidden
I tried switching to additive blending (GL_ONE for both), but it made no difference. Here is a screenshot. As you can see the the lightmap drawn above another lightmap blocks the one below it. I just can't understand why? Aren't they supposed to blend?

Try this for additive blending: glBlendFunc( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE );

Is your texture an RGBA?

Are you using shaders by any chance?

Can you post a screen shot from the same vantage point of the 3rd, using the above blending function?

Hidden
The first two screenshots I posted is when using glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE)... That's why I came here asking for help :)

No, the texture is a 24 bit BMP.

No shaders.

Well, you need a source alpha channel, 32 bit, to use glBlendFunc( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE );

It's nearly impossible to see anything in your first two screen shots.

based on that ONE ONE screenshot, the bledning is not the problem,
it looks like a depth issue
use glDisable( GL_DEPTH_TEST ) with GL_ONE GL_ONE + it should work (it will not be correct though cause i assume u want to have depth in the scene, but it will show u that u were looking at the wrong cause)

Hidden
Yupp, when disabling depth testing it works like a charm! Only problem now is that light that shouldn't be visible starts coming out from under roofs, etc. Would I have to do some manual depth testing or culling in order to get this right? It seems like a lot of hassle for such a simple effect, really.

if youve got it all setup correctly, it should just work
are u using glDepthFunc( GL_LEQUAL )

is the ground flat ie are all the dots on the same level plane, if so LEQUAL should work, u could perhaps try glDepthMask( GL_FALSE ) but thats not ideal

Hidden
Hey! That solved it! I did:

glDepthMask(GL_FALSE) ...

... before drawing the lightmaps. And then enabling it again directly afterwards. And now the lightmaps are drawn correctly, with no borders or artifacts.

Thanks a lot! :)