Sign in to follow this  
ed209

Why do I need a source and a destination rectangle?

What exactly is the destination rectangle for when drawing sprites? I juat started up managed directx again and am having trouble finding information about it. This is probably a dumb question but it would help me greatly. Thanks.

The destination rectangle defines where your going to put the sprite on the screen. Using it, you can stretch/shrink the sprite.

If original sprite is 32x32 and your destination rectangle is defined as (0,0,64,64) then the sprite would be scaled to fit a 64x64 area.

Managed DirectX is depreciated (though you can still use it I suppose). Xna is good though. And there is SlimDX.

Think of it like this.
You have a piece of paper with alot of photos/pictures printed on it... You have a photo album. You want to cut out some of these pictures/photos and place it in the album.

The source rectangle is where you are going to cut out a picture/photo. The destination is where you are going to place the photo/picture in the album. (With the exception of the fact that you can change the size of the destination rectangle

Source Rectangle : From Where
Destination Rectangle : To Where

I hope this helps.
Take care.