Sign in to follow this  
RealMarkP

Collision Optimization (Box-Trimesh)

I'm writing a simple collision detection engine that only does Box-Trimesh detection. Basically the player's character is bounded by an AABB and the floor and the environment is a trimesh (optimized to have least amount of triangles). What would be the best space and collision optimization scheme? Currently I am using an Octree, which may not be the best choice for collision detection optimization. Thanks in advance.

KD-tree, binary AABB tree. I've used the second one in compressed form (as seen in one of the Game Programming Gems), and it's great.

in BVHs, the branches at each node will spacially overlap, however the triangles won't be spanning several leaves, and won't need to be split.

You can also stop the build at a set number of leaf triangles, and the size of the tree is bound by the number of triangles (so it wont grow out of control). One requisit is that your triangle density is pretty even, for best performance (since unlique space partitioning techniques, you wont split triangles), but a well designed trimesh would take care of that.