Sign in to follow this  
pilgrim9684

Moving application from Windows to Linux

I have an application that I developed using Visual Studio 6.0 and 2005 to verify operation of framebuffer objects rendering to textures. However, now I need to port it to Linux and there is not glut or glew libraries or header files on the Linux system I need to port to. A search of the web does not yield glut binary files for Linux as are available for Windows; probably because of the differnt kernels out there. However, more disturbing is the absence of recent evidence of glut support for Linux. Have I missed something big here? What should I be using in the Linux world to replace the glut and glew functionality? Pilgrim

For glut, use freeglut. GLEW works also on linux, to install the necessary headers, on a ubuntu system, install libglew-dev and freeglut3-dev , for other distros, the package names are similar.

If you're looking for a glut replacement, I would recommend GLFW. It will require some changes to the code, but it'll probably be worth it in the end. Just take a look at its User Guide example and you'll see what I'm talking about. But if you'd rather stick with glut, I'm 100% sure there is a Linux version of it too, you just have to look around a bit. Or use FreeGlut like someone mentioned.

All the packages mentioned are available for Linux. You just need to get used to the fact that getting them is actually *easier* on Linux, in some sense: Virtually all distributions have those libraries prepackaged, so you'll just have to go to your distribution's package manager and install them.

As has been pointed out before, most distributions split libraries into libfoo and libfoo-dev packages, where the former only contains the binaries and the latter contains the header files (and often pkg-config files) necessary to build programs.

Some distributions also have libfoo-dbg packages that contain debug versions of libraries, or debug symbols for the normal (non-debug) versions of libraries.

cu,
Prefect