Sign in to follow this  
Kriuq

Parkour game design

Hello. I've been designing and prototyping some ideas for a 2D parkour game and I'd like to know your opinions on a couple things. Parkour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour The player is put in a fairly large cityscape of a world with a large variety of maneuvers and tricks to perform in order to complete missions, compete in time trial runs, etc. The parkour/freerunning is the core gameplay, not the "hold A and forward" system found in Assassin's Creed. As such, this game will be to real-life Parkour as the game "skate" is to real-life skateboarding. Since the control scheme is the most important part, let's ignore gametypes, storyline, etc. for a moment. These control schemes are for the Xbox360 controller. My initial control scheme was something like this: Analog stick for movement, one trigger for jump, one trigger for grab. The jump button can be used for walljumps as well as regular jumps. The grab button can be used for climbing certain objects, vaults, and pulling up onto ledges. To do maneuvers like dive-roll, the player rotates the analog stick in the direction they wish to roll as they press the jump button. This makes the character begin to rotate in midair as they jump. When they hit the ground, they have to perform a roll on the analog stick to cause the character to roll instead of hitting his head. There were a pretty good number of movement features implemented, with just the analog stick and two triggers. This control scheme was very difficult to use. It was incredibly easy to accidentally roll or flip your character when trying to jump normally. My new version worked a lot better. The only real modification made was that rolling the analog stick to rotate your character has been replaced with the R and L triggers to rotate clockwise and counter-. The jump and grab buttons have been moved to A and X on the button pad. This seems pretty good, if somewhat less elegant. The physics and character dynamics in this game are fairly unforgiving compared to conventional, arcade-like sidescrollers. You have no air control, your movement speed is fairly low, and you can't do things like gain tons of speed going down ramps. These decisions were made because my vision for this game is for it to be a (I don't want to say hardcore) somewhat competitive skill-based game. One last thing: Part of the design of this game includes demo-recording. Players can record and edit "runs", and then easily post them onto an integrated community video system (youtube-like). Users can rate other peoples' runs based on time, style, or whatever they want. Thanks for reading