pipelining output

Started by
1 comment, last by LessBread 15 years, 9 months ago
If I evoke a console program - call it "foo.exe" from the command line, and it outputs string-based data, is there a DOS command (or a series of batch file commands) to pipeline this string output to a .txt file? For instance, foo.exe takes a single parameter: the name/url of a .qfx file: C:\> foo C:\apps\widget\whatev.qfx The output of which might be: Hello, foo! Today is a lovely day! What I am looking for is a way to simply "automate" foo's output such that it is sent to (and saved to) a Notepad (.txt) file. Would it be *something* as simple as: C:\> foo C:\apps\widget\whatev.qfx | output.txt ?? hopefully I can avoid getting into make files and batch files...
Advertisement
According to this it might be: C:\> foo C:\apps\widget\whatev.qfx > output.txt

If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
There's nothing maybe about it. The right angle bracket (aka greater than) was the redirect output symbol used by DOS, so it was retained by the windows console.

foo > output.txt

foo C:\apps\widget\whatev.qfx > output.txt
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement