Which of the DirectX SDK's do i download

Started by
12 comments, last by Buckeye 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi, ive been programming in C++ for about 1-2 months now and have managed to create a fully functiona, supposedly bugless pong clone using the windows SDK and the GDI for my graphics. I now want to learn how to use the DirectX API. Ive found a good site where i can teach myself the API from looking at examples with commented source code. All i need to know now is which version of the DirectX SDK do i download? I ran the "dxdiag" thing and it said tht my operating system is runing directX 10, but i read on MSDN that DirectX 10 is only available for windows vista users (i of course am running the windows vista OS). I want my applications to be "portable", many of my frinds who i will be sharing code with are have Windows XP. So which version of the SDK should i download to enure that my directX applications will run on vista and XP? Thanks! ~Reegan PS: Ive heard that once the SDK is installed on your system you cant remove it easily so thats why im asking to make sure i get the right one :)
Advertisement
Download the newest. You just use the DX9 interfaces instead of the 10 interface.
Quote:Original post by Reegan
PS: Ive heard that once the SDK is installed on your system you cant remove it easily so thats why im asking to make sure i get the right one :)
The SDK is easy to remove, but you can't downgrade DirectX. So if you have the latest SDK and you then uninstalled it and tried to install the December 2004, the latest DirectX runtimes will remain on your computer. Not that that's a bad thing, mind - the older SDK would still work fine with the newer runtimes since DirectX is backwards compatible.
Ok, thanks guys.

Just one more thing if you wouldnt mind, provide a link to the latest DirectX SDK and an article which would explain how to set it up ready for use. :D

That would be a great help!

Thanks again.

I thought MS were only offering the last 3 versions of things for download, but from a quick search I can see 6 on the first page alone [lol]

Anyway, in addition to the other replies you should bare in mind that the SDK has changed slightly over the years. D3D9 has been pretty much static since the first releases of D3D10 over a year ago, so you're probably fine there. But if the tutorials you're referring to were written in the 2003-2006 timeframe it is quite possible there will be slight interface changes and different flags for D3DX-related components.

This shouldn't stop you using the tutorials, but it will potentially stop you being a copy-n-paste coder, which is a good thing [grin]

Best of luck!
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Ok, thanks guys.

Just one more thing if you wouldnt mind, provide a link to the latest DirectX SDK and an article which would explain how to set it up ready for use. :D

That would be a great help!

Thanks again.
It's just a library. You set it up like any other. You point your compiler settings to the include and library folders.

There is a link to the newest SDK here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/default.aspx
EDIT: getting slow in my old age... [headshake]

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/download/ is an alias to the latest-and-greatest SDK download, currently June 2008.

Download. Run. Simple - no article needed.

It should handle all of the necessary IDE configurations, but if you get any problems then be sure to check the VC++ directories to ensure the 'include' and 'lib' folders are in the list.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

You was right, i managed to setup the directx but when it came to doing the tutorial and then compiling it my compiler sprewed erros all over the place

I dont know whether its because i done it wrong or something but it didnt work and the tutorial was from 2004 :P

Ive tried searching around for tutorials (specifically for DirectSound) bu they are either old or not very informative of what im trying to learn (msdn in particular is the worst place for me to leanr anything about programming).

What should a guy like me do in a situation like this? bearing in mind i have no money to get a book, nore do i know which one would be right for me :)

You was right, i managed to setup the directx but when it came to doing the tutorial and then compiling it my compiler sprewed erros all over the place

I dont know whether its because i done it wrong or something but it didnt work and the tutorial was from 2004 :P

Ive tried searching around for tutorials (specifically for DirectSound) bu they are either old or not very informative of what im trying to learn (msdn in particular is the worst place for me to leanr anything about programming).

What should a guy like me do in a situation like this? bearing in mind i have no money to get a book, nore do i know which one would be right for me :)
Can we see the errors? DirectSound shouldn't have changed much, but D3DX will have.
Ive deleted them now, they constantly was changing. but the main one that i couldnt get rid of was something wrong with my "resource.h"

ERROR: Unexpected end of file

That was the only error in the end.
The only piece of code that header file contained was
#define SND_BOUNCE          101

The ID for my bounce sound?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement