• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Camera Rotation (Y rotation)

This topic is 3576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, Quick question, I have my direction vector. I can get my up/down rotation working fine by just taking the cross between my direction vector and my up vector (up is 0,1,0). In order to get left/right rotating working, I don't need my world up vector, I need my camera space up vector. Any idea how I can calculate with only my direction vector known? I can obtain my right vector, but does that help? Thanks! Jeff.

Advertisement
agi_shi,

See, the problem is, I use a cross product of my world space up (0,1,0) and my direction vector to get the right vector. So if I do a cross of my Dir & Right, I get my world up (0,1,0). I don't want my world up, I want the perpendicular vector to where I'm looking.

Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Jeff.

Quote:
So if I do a cross of my Dir & Right, I get my world up (0,1,0). I don't want my world up, I want the perpendicular vector to where I'm looking.
If you take the cross product of your view (direction) and 'right' vectors, you'll get a vector perpendicular to where you're looking, not the world 'up' vector (try it and see!).

take your camera look at vector cross with the world up to get your right vector. Then use your camera look at and cross with you newly found right vector to get your camera up vector. This newly up vector is not necessary the same as the world up.

OK,

I did that, and you guys are correct. I take the cross of my camera LookAt and my newly found right vector, I get the camera's up vector. Great! HOWEVER!...

when I do a rotation using the newly created up vector, it still appears my camera is rotating about (0,1,0). I can see this because when I look almost down, I see the object spin around in a circle... just as if you were to look down at the floor and spin around the (0,1,0) axis (try it, though you might get dizzy). I am trying to simulate a free cam. Hmmm, here's my code, do you guys see any wrong logic?

My Movement Function:

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROTATE
Rotates using a delta x/y. Good for mouse controls.
*/

void Camera::Rotate(float deltaX, float deltaY)
{
Vector3f axis, dir, camUp;

// get my direction vector
dir = m_LookAt - m_Pos;
// get my right vector
axis = CrossProduct(dir,m_Up);
Vec3fNormalize(axis);

// rotate y degrees about my right axis
Rotate(deltaY, axis);

// get the new camera up
camUp = CrossProduct(dir,axis);
Vec3fNormalize(camUp);

// rotate x degrees about my new camera up
Rotate(deltaX, camUp);
}

Here's my generic Rotate Function:

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ROTATE
Rotates the angle about an axis.
*/

void Camera::Rotate(float angle, Vector3f &axis)
{
Quaternionf qRotation, qView, qNewView;

qRotation.RotationAxisToQuaternion(angle, axis);

qView.x = m_LookAt._x - m_Pos._x;
qView.y = m_LookAt._y - m_Pos._y;
qView.z = m_LookAt._z - m_Pos._z;
qView.w = 0;

qNewView = ((qRotation * qView) * qRotation.Conjugate());

m_LookAt._x = m_Pos._x + qNewView.x;
m_LookAt._y = m_Pos._y + qNewView.y;
m_LookAt._z = m_Pos._z + qNewView.z;

Vector3f right = CrossProduct(m_Up,(m_LookAt - m_Pos));
Vec3fNormalize(right);

m_Right._x = right._x;
m_Right._y = right._y;
m_Right._z = right._z;
}

Any thoughts? It should be working, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it keeps rotating about (0,1,0) or appears to be doing that. No matter where I'm looking, it should rotate left and right, not about the world up axis.

Thanks
Jeff.

It would help to see how you actually use the rotations. Isolated wrappers aren't telling us if you simply apply your transformations "wrong". All this work will be useless if you just collect angles somewhere and then apply a bunch of rotations "from scratch". Especially if the order is "wrong" on top of it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement