[java] I'm gonna switch

Started by
5 comments, last by cignox1 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello everyone, I've been wanting to give Java a go for some time now (I come from from C and C++ land). And since the research would be too general, I thought you guys could tell me which game programming libraries are good/commonly used so I could go straight to that after I play a bit with the language. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Firstly you'll want to grab Eclipse. If you're doing anything non-trivial you'll want to use LWJGL so you can talk to OpenGL, OpenAL and controllers. And if you're interested in 2D games then have a look at Slick. Then come and join us at Javagaming.org.
I personally recommend jME especially if you want to make a 3D game if you'd rather create your own bsp, collision detection, scene graph, and state machine implementations basically your own game engine then you can use LWJGL.
Try the 30-day free trial of IntelliJ IDEA. It's an IDE like Eclipse. It's such a slick tool that I have, on some projects, chosen to use the Java language just so that I could use IntelliJ.
Woah, thanks all! This really got me set up. =)
If you are wanting to do any 3D programming, i cannot recommend jMonkeyEngine enough. While it isn't truly an "engine" in the way most people think of it, it has classes to do most of the nitty gritty low level rendering stuff so you can focus on making a game. The learning curve is relatively gentle and the community is helpful when you get stumped.
Quote:Original post by pinacolada
Try the 30-day free trial of IntelliJ IDEA. It's an IDE like Eclipse. It's such a slick tool that I have, on some projects, chosen to use the Java language just so that I could use IntelliJ.

I keep hearing very good things about that IDE, but if you want something for free, I would recomend NetBeans: is a full featured IDE, a lot improved in the latest version, that can also manage other languages (i.e. C++)...

Anyway, wasn't the OP asking for libraries :-)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement