• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pcbrainbuster

Distributing your program...

This topic is 3731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I recently found out that the programs I am creating only work on my computer because I don't have some redistribute files... So that questions are - 1) What are these files exactly and where can I download them from? 2) Does a DirectX program need another set of redistribute files? Thanks a lot ;).

Advertisement
If you're using Visual C++, you'll need to redistribute the C Runtime DLL for the version you're using. There's redistributable packs for VC++ 2005, 2005 SP1, and 2008 (and also for both x86 and x64) you can use, which you can simply include with your installer and launch.

If you're using DirectX, you'll also need to install the DirectX runtimes for the version of the SDK you're using. In the SDK install folder there's a "Redistributable" folder, which contains the DXSETUP installer and the data files. You only need to include the .CAB files for the version of the SDK you're using, and then you can have your installer launch DXSETUP.exe to install them. If you want you can also direct your users to the DX Web Setup and have them install that (which installs all versions of the runtime), but you're not allowed to redistribute that with your app.

Also, you of course need to include any other non-system DLL's that your app uses (you can just keep them in the app directory).

They're all in that Redistributables folder, labeled according to the SDK they correspond to and also according to the architecture (x86 or x64). So for example if you're using the June 2008 SDK and you're targeting x86, you only need to include the .cab that starts with JUNE2008.

Also note that if you use XInput or DirectSound or anything like that, you'll also need to include the .cabs for those. If you're really unsure what you need you can always just include everything in that folder, it'll just make your installer bigger.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!