• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CaspianB

C++ vectors and class constructors

This topic is 3639 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I have a class with a constructor which assigns a random values some of its members. However, from what I can tell, when you allocate a vector of objects, it creates one object then assigns a copy of that object to every object in the vector. Perhaps some example source code will explain:
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
#include <vector>
using namespace std;

class Foo
{
public:
   Foo() : x(rand()%500) { }
   int getX() { return x; }

private:
   int x;
};

int main()
{

srand( time(NULL) );

Foo f[5];
   for ( int i = 0; i < 5; i++ )
   {
      cout << "x = " << f.getX() << ", ";
   }

cout << endl;

vector<Foo> f2(5);
   for ( int i = 0; i < f2.size(); i++ )
   {
      cout << "x = " << f2.getX() << ", ";
   }

return 0;
}

The output of the above will be something like (obviously with randomness)
x = 214, x = 86, x = 258, x = 442, x = 391,

x = 262, x = 262, x = 262, x = 262, x = 262,

You can see that when using the vector, the constructor is only called once and then the values are copied into each element. Now, I know I can solve this by using an initialization function instead. Or perhaps by writing a copy constructor which re-randomizes the variable on copy (though I'd prefer not to do this as I feel a copy should merely copy the values, unless dealing with pointers). Is there some other method that I am overlooking or some trick to the STL vector to get what I want? Or do I just need to suck it up and use an initialization function?

Advertisement
Ah, wow. I do not believe I was aware I could create a new object by just calling the class constructor like that - which is odd considering how long I've been using C++... Guess you do learn something everyday with the language from hell. I did try doing the push_back method, but assumed I would need to use pointers and call new Foo() in the push_back call. However, I really did not want to abuse pointers like that.

That's the cleanest method I've seen for this. Thanks. :)

Foo create() { return Foo(); }

std::vector<foo> f;
std::generate_n(std::back_inserter(f), 5, create);

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!