• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CelticSir

Levels in a game..how to measure it?

This topic is 3608 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys and gals. I am planning to implement levels on my game against users EXP values in a dataabse. Only I have no real way of measuring how quick a user is going to reach a level until the user gets to that level, by then if its too quick its too late. At first i was going to have each level be sqared in terms of exp such as: 1 = level 1 2 = level 2 4 = level 3 16 = level 4 But realised it'll be too hard hard a few levels to achieve the next stage. So then i wondered how can I measure how much a user is going to earn on average, to work out how quick each level can "roughly" take to level up. If it took like 8 months to get to level 5 then users won't be too pleased. And if it took to level 60 in 3 days then thats equally not so good as level will feel slightly less like an accomplished thing to get, leading to no motivation for users to want to level up. Any advice on how to balance this ? Whats a good speed of levelling to a gamer's mind ?

Advertisement
First answer is going to be: depends on the game. :)

log1.2(experience) seems to be somewhat popular, if I recall correctly. But, it really depends on factors like increasing experience for events (i.e. harder monsters are worth more), decreasing for easy fights (is experience gained a function of relative levels), etc.

You have a lot of ways of handling even the 1, 2, 4, 16, 32, 64... approach. I mean, you can give harder fights more experience and offset the increase in values.

You could steal the D&D's experience point chart. 3.x uses relatively experience to level and it comes out to 13 fights/level (roughly).

So... depends on the game. :)

Quote:
Original post by dmoonfire
First answer is going to be: depends on the game. :)

log1.2(experience) seems to be somewhat popular, if I recall correctly. But, it really depends on factors like increasing experience for events (i.e. harder monsters are worth more), decreasing for easy fights (is experience gained a function of relative levels), etc.

You have a lot of ways of handling even the 1, 2, 4, 16, 32, 64... approach. I mean, you can give harder fights more experience and offset the increase in values.

You could steal the D&D's experience point chart. 3.x uses relatively experience to level and it comes out to 13 fights/level (roughly).

So... depends on the game. :)

Thanks for the replies you two! :)

The exp is based on the missions and monsters. Missions can give what ever they wish which the staff can control, but harder monsters give more exp yes, I did not consider the easier monster giving no exp once the user is too strong, v.good idea! Ill put a formula involved to cut how much gained, should force a user to advance to other areas of the game then.

Hmm 13 fights seems too little for a high level, seems slightly ok for a lower level.

Just wondering what you meant with your terminology which I am slightly unfamiliary with .. D&D and log1.2 ? Are these pre-made scripts you can buy or something ?

D&D is Dungeons and Dragons. The amount of experience to get from 1 level to the next is simple your level minus 1 times 1000 IIRC. I am about to play D&D later today as a matter of fact and the fights are perfect at 13/level because of how long it takes to play out a fight. In a faster paced game though it should be more. Figure out how long it should take to get it level in hours if they grind hard. Low levels should take like 20 to 30min where as high levels should take 5-6 hours and the very high levels could take 10 or so hours. Make it so they can level up quickly so that non-hardcore players will feel they want to keep playing just to get to the next level but also make it so hardcore players can not just run through a level in 5min.

But that would mean ... level 1 to level two you need -999 exp ?

level - (levelx1000)
1 - (1x1000) or just 1 - 1000

Hows that work ?

Log = logarithms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm

I think he meant something more like (level - 1) * 1000, although that still doesn't make sense for level 1.

Yeah, log1.2() was just a shorthand for "log(player.Experience)/log(1.2)". As long as player.Experience does not equal 0, it should give you "current level" indicator.

In D&D, the amount of experience from the beginning of one level to the next is (level - 1) * 1000. Starting with level 1 at 0 experience, you need 1000 experience to get level 2. Then 2000 more for level 3, then 3000 more for level 4, etc. If you base your experience on difficulty of a fight, then that would work out pretty well and is fairly close to how D&D 3.x does it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!