• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rydinare

Strange Code: Returning a boost::scoped_ptr by Reference?

This topic is 3785 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just going through some of the code at work. I'm happy I noticed I got a few of my coworkers using the boost smart pointers. However, when I ran into code similar to this, I was quite concerned:
class ClassA
{
public:
    boost::scoped_ptr<ComponentA>& getComponent()
    {
       boost::scoped_ptr<ComponentA>& pComponent = createComponentAIfItDoesntExist(); // returns:  boost::scoped_ptr<ComponentA>&

return pComponent;
    }

private:
    boost::scoped_ptr<ComponentA> pComponent_;
};

I'm guessing the programmer that was doing this realized that scoped_ptrs<> can't be copied. So, instead of just returning a reference to the actual object held, he passes the reference to the actual scoped_ptr<> all over the place. Maybe he thought a scoped_ptr<> is expensive to dereference? I don't know. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I think that sort of code is extremely strange.

Advertisement
This looks like a weird use of the scoped_ptr class. scoped_ptr is just like std::auto_ptr from the STL but forbids copy construction for more safety.

Normally shared_ptr is the class one should use when the objects share ownership. scoped_ptr is normally used only within functions to ensure exception safety and automatic object deallocation. I rarely need this.

The scoped_ptr in the private section of your code snipped indicates the pointed to object only has a single owner that will be an instance of class A. If pComponent_ is never changed it could also be a simple member variable. Otherwise the use is ok, just like with auto_ptr.

Depending on what the guy that wrote the code intended to do the code might be ok.
But probably he actually just wanted to return a reference to the contained object and not to the while scoped_ptr.

That's lazy creation, equivalent to:

class ClassA
{
public:
ComponentA * getComponent()
{
if (pComponent_ == NULL) pComponent_ = new ComponentA();

return pComponent_;
}

// or alternatively
Component & getComponentByRef()
{
if (pComponent_ == NULL) pComponent_ = new ComponentA();

return *pComponent_;
}
private:
ComponentA * pComponent_;
};

The code itself may seem convoluted, but it's correct. References and scoped_ptr however obstruct the ownership.

Whether this is useful or recommended pattern is something else, but it's not incorrect.

I'm not really sure if scoped_ptr is required here, reference should be enough for most purposes.

The scoped pointer means that you no longer need to write a destructor, nor derive from boost::noncopyable. However, I would agree that is does not need to leak into the interface.

Quote:
Original post by rip-off
The scoped pointer means that you no longer need to write a destructor, nor derive from boost::noncopyable. However, I would agree that is does not need to leak into the interface.

Those are some side-effects, yes. I totally understand the use of scoped_ptr<>. But it being in the interface really makes no sense, since any client will just dereference it anyway to do anything with it. That was all. Just a tad convoluted and giving me the impression that my coworker didn't fully understand what scoped_ptr<> was for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!