Problems Installing SDL for Visual Studio Express 2005

Started by
10 comments, last by Portmanteau 15 years, 9 months ago
I've tried following the instructions five times over the past two months and I just keep failing and wanting to toss my computer across the room: http://pgdc.purdue.org/sdltutorial/sdl_setup.html Anyone know what is going wrong? And before I get involved with Visual Studio 2005, should I bother using this complier for 2D video games? Can I get a full video game out of this? Or an I gonna be 99% done with my project and figure out I can't complete it because I have to pay 500$ for some stupid upgrade? (rofl) Ty ty fishingforbasses
Advertisement
What error are you getting? You are fine, you will not have to upgrade.

Edit: LMAO at the SDL website screenshot, looking good. Also I recommend these tutorials, clicky.
I doubt anyone knows how to fix your problem since you didn't mention what error/errors you were getting?
Anyways, those look like the standard SDL setup instructions for Visual Studio and should work fine for visual express 2008 c++. For you 2005 version you probably have to mess with the platform sdk download so I suggest you just use 2008 from the start if you want to use DirectX later on that is.
And yeah you can make a full real game with the express versions and don't need to pay any money for upgrade,etc.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Sorry I didnt post the debug info earlier ::slap self in face::

Well to be honest this guide:

http://gfxile.net/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Talks about specifically setting up SDL on Express 2005 which is what I have...

I cannot complete step 10 in the guide because I cannot find the C++ directory, it doesn't exist for some reason, I even looked thru all the other tabs and I Couldn't find the window to edit the properties like the guide explained in step ten....

Any ideas?

EDIT: Should I just upgrade to 2008 express? Any downsides to upgrading?

ty
Interesting, are you sure you made the correct type of project? The only one off the top of my head that i can think of that wouldnt have the C++ option in the project properties would be a static library. (Not 100% sure, i would have to check)

As for updating to VC++ 2008, i didnt see any downfalls, but there could be some i dont know about.

Edit: Nope, i was wrong above (about the static library thing).
Quote:Original post by fishingforbasses
Sorry I didnt post the debug info earlier ::slap self in face::

Well to be honest this guide:

http://gfxile.net/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Talks about specifically setting up SDL on Express 2005 which is what I have...

I cannot complete step 10 in the guide because I cannot find the C++ directory, it doesn't exist for some reason, I even looked thru all the other tabs and I Couldn't find the window to edit the properties like the guide explained in step ten....

Any ideas?

EDIT: Should I just upgrade to 2008 express? Any downsides to upgrading?

ty

Well that step probably isn't causing your problem anyways since for VS2005 and up that is the default anyways so you don't have to make that modification. I see no reason to use the older vs2005 unless you are working with XNA or have another reason to use it. VS2008 is pretty much 2005 with all the bug fixes i.e. better.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
You have to have a .cpp/.c file in your project first so that the IDE knows it is C++/C
Quote:Original post by Portmanteau
You have to have a .cpp/.c file in your project first so that the IDE knows it is C++/C

That allowed me to get into the C++ directory and change it to multithreading, (although it already was), but SDL still hates me and won't work (look below)

[Edited by - fishingforbasses on July 8, 2008 11:49:01 PM]
Now the SDL Test file won't compile......

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'OpenGL32.lib,'

???

fishingforbasses
You will have to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard eventually, because that's the only way to get resource editing functionality, mostly used for creating Win32 dialog boxes, string tables, and accelerator tables (the first two of which are commonly used in games). The only way to get it all within one IDE, to be more exact (there are other free apps that allow resource editing, and use Visual Studio's format... like Pelles C).

Upgrading will also let you use Add-Ins like the Visual AssistX, without which I can no longer live. It brings back Intelli-Sense functionality that was stripped out of Visual Studio 2005, and then some.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement