• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chris110772

Bitmap Problem

This topic is 3632 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

okay, can anyone help with a problem that's been driving me nuts for over a week now? I sm learning C++, i have read Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours so i have a reasonable understanding of some of the basics and i am currently reading Beginning Games Programming by Michael Morrison. In Chapter 5 the author introduces a bitmap class that does 3 things, loads a bitmap from a file, loads a bitmap from a resource or creates a bitmap of a defined size and colour, it also has a couple of methods such as free memory and draw the bitmap. If my understanding is correct you should simply simply create a pointer to a new bimap constructor to create a new bitmap object within the program. The example program given in the book is simply a bitmap of a ufo which the user can move around the screen against a desert night sky background (also a bitmap). The program compiles and works fine on my pc using both DEVC++ and Visual express 2008 and i think i understand all the concepts involved. My problem starts when i right my own program as i always think that if you can write your own programs using the examples in the book you will learn the concepts involved a lot more thoroughly. My idea was to write a version of the old Lunar Lander game. I have written the game and debugged it, eliminating all the bugs until it finally compiled without a hitch. When the program is run it just displays a blank window. After a bit of searching there appears to be a problem with the bitmap class, specifically the lines: HRSRC hResInfo = FindResource(hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE(uiResID), RT_BITMAP); if (hResInfo == NULL) return FALSE; hResInfo always returns a null value and thus fails to load the bitmap, in the book example hResInfo always returns a value. I have not altered the Bitmap class in anyway for my program other than to add a message box notification when the bitmap can't be found. In my program in debug mode i can see the correct resource file value for uiResID and the correct value for hInstance which is passed into the object constructor via a global variable.I cannot understand why the program cannot find the bitmap, especially since the book example works absolutley fine using the same code. The same thing happens if i compile in DEVC++ or Visual Express 2008. I have since stripped the program right down to just showing a window, loading and displaying a bitmap using the bitmap class and i still get the same problem. Has anyone got any clue as to why this would be happening? Chris

Advertisement
Quote:

I have written the game and debugged it, eliminating all the bugs until it finally compiled without a hitch.

Debugging/bugs entail much more than just getting the code to compile, that merely eliminates syntax error.

I am guessing this is a Windows resource problem, you may want to look at the .rc file that is included with the example. I don't know much about these at all because I tend to avoid them. I suggest you reread the chapter and look closely at resources.

[Edited by - Portmanteau on July 8, 2008 9:39:35 PM]

That´s not a very good book on game programming.

It´s confusing, the game engine created is weak and rigid rather than strong and flexible. I would suggest you drop the book and pick up Beginning Game Programming with DirectX by Johnatan Harbour.

It´s a simple book and teaches you one of the world´s most powerful library.

Well, that´s my opinion.

Sorted it!!

i forgot to include the resource header file in the resource script file. The amount of times i looked at that and thought it was ok!

Jazonxyz

i'm probably looking for a directx book after i've finished this one, thanks for the suggestion i'll have a look for it.

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!