• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CelticSir

[web] What langauge is best?

This topic is 3806 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to build a floating object on my site, so that if the user is changing to a different page the floating object remains the same thus the video can stream normally. But at the same time I don't want it to be like a window in taskbar or a new tab in the browser. Some kinda graphically designed floating window that won't change via page changes. What internet language can do this? If any?

Advertisement
None. You won't be able to navigate away from the page unless this object is in a separate window, otherwise you will lose it.

Once you load a page, everything is reloaded. On the other hand, you could use frames in HTML or you could use AJAX to load new content without loading a new page. Although it's come a long way, web technology still has it's limitations.

Quote:
Original post by thefollower
Are there ways to create windows seperate and customize their size etc?

Yes, you can load into a seperate window in javascript and yes, you can control the size of the window. To open the window, you can use the following:

window.open ("http://www.myurl.com", "mywindow", "location=1,status=1,scrollbars=1, width=320,height=200");

Here's an example controlling the window resize:
Window Resize, motion, maximize

If people were allowed to write code that kept floating objects on top of the web page I'm trying to read, and I couldn't get rid of it by navigating away from the page, I would be very, very pissed. It's bad enough there are apparently flash ads or something that jump out and take over the page, and you have to hunt for the 'close' button, and hope that it actually closes and doesn't open up another window.

Quote:
Original post by RDragon1
If people were allowed to write code that kept floating objects on top of the web page I'm trying to read, and I couldn't get rid of it by navigating away from the page, I would be very, very pissed. It's bad enough there are apparently flash ads or something that jump out and take over the page, and you have to hunt for the 'close' button, and hope that it actually closes and doesn't open up another window.

Right click, Inspect Item, Delete Item. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by RDragon1

For anything that is used badly can be used in a good way also.

My intention was to have a little box on the CSS layout that looked part of the layout so as user browsed my site there was streaming music. Like a flash music player.

Quote:
Original post by thefollower
My intention was to have a little box on the CSS layout that looked part of the layout so as user browsed my site there was streaming music. Like a flash music player.
Make sure it can be turned off, and I strongly suggest also having it off by default. Such things are one of the most hated features of many websites which already have it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!