How to stay Interested

Started by
18 comments, last by Chrono1081 15 years, 9 months ago
So I decided to get serious about learning programming, and I bought a book, "Java Programming For Dummies" by Barry Burd. I have no problem understanding it, but I can't seem to stay interested. I'll read a couple chapters covering the basics, but then I'll put it down and forget everything, only to pick it up again a few days later and re-read everything. I'm stuck in a rut, does anyone have any tips for this newb?
Advertisement
Start writing code. And try to come up with new things to do with the ideas you just read about, extending what is in the book. That will also help with memory.
Alright, thanks for the tip. Would you recommend I look for websites with basic problems or such, that I can use as practice?
That's also a good idea. I would do exercises that require basically everything you've learned so far, and a little bit more (like one chapter more) to keep you motivated each time you do them. It's also really fun to make up your own programming exercises also, based on what you've learned. Exercises you make up yourself can be very challenging and give you good practice, because certain parts of your idea require a little bit more learning to get it done. Anything's good, as long as you practice.
Quote:I'm stuck in a rut, does anyone have any tips for this newb?

Have you written and compiled a single line of code yet?
ya I agree with the other poster, start writing code.

In fact, come up with a really really REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y simply idea that you actually *want* to code.

Like say, a text based small question and answer game that would be funny to you and your friends.

The best way to get motivated is to have someone go: "Whoa, cool man!" about something YOU made.

Good luck.
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
Also, make sure whatever you come up with, STICK WITH IT. If there's a design flaw or it's peppered with a zillion bugs, don't get frustrated and quit, fix it! It'll help you learn better programming and design techniques along the way.
Mini games is always a good starting exercise for beginners,
just write what you want to write, and you can improve your skill soon.
Quote:Original post by Toast-99
So I decided to get serious about learning programming, ... but I can't seem to stay interested. ... does anyone have any tips for this newb?

Take up something else. Seriously. If you can't stay interested, it's not right for you. I know I'll get hate mail for this. Go ahead, flame away. We don't need guys joining our industry who need us to keep pushing them to stay motivated.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote:Original post by Toast-99
So I decided to get serious about learning programming, ... but I can't seem to stay interested. ... does anyone have any tips for this newb?

Take up something else. Seriously. If you can't stay interested, it's not right for you. I know I'll get hate mail for this. Go ahead, flame away. We don't need guys joining our industry who need us to keep pushing them to stay motivated.

He didn't ask to join the industry. Give him a chance to pick up some momentum before you tell him to go do something else. Initial motivation is not everything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement